SH7058 ROM Dumping Questions

Links to datasheets, websites, etc. relevant to the project

Moderator: Freon

SH7058 ROM Dumping Questions

Postby Type-GS-R-Turbo » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:37 am

Ok guys, I've done a little searching, and I have a question.

Let me start off by explaining my situation. My roomate has a 2005 Accord Auto. We are getting into electrical engineering, and as a project we decided to try to get into his ECU. But he didnt' want me fiddling with it, so I bought one out of a junkyard. I was expecting to find an OKI chip, which is what Honda has traditionally used. Long story short, it has a SH7058. I just found out today that many subaru ecus have that same chip. I went on the Renesas website and downloaded the manual for the chip, but they don't say anything about getting a rom dump off the thing. I looked at the way we have traditionally gotten rom dumps, and it usually involves loading a Rom Dumper program onto the stock chip through the external eeprom spot on Honda's OBD I ecus.

From what I've read so far, it seems that you guys have found a way to get the ROM off the ecu through the OBD II port. My question is:

How did you get the stock ecu to give you its rom?

--Darren
Type-GS-R-Turbo

Postby KGreb » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:01 pm

Darren, the 7058 is used on 2005+ USDM Subarus with drive-by-wire. There is not a dumping/reflashing program available yet for these vehicles, but work is ongoing. The flash memory is built into the CPU chip - there is no separate flash or eeprom slot. With the Subaru code, folks are communicating with the ECU via SSM, a Subaru specific diagnostic protocol. Not sure what is the best method to attack a Honda ECU :(
KGreb

Postby peewee » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:14 pm

In almost all latest Denso ECU's this chip family is used. Even Volvo is using this ecu and can only be flashed with OEM equipment.
However it's possible to read it with a eprom programmer but you have to desolder it :roll:
peewee

Postby dohcvtec » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:27 pm

peewee

can you ilustrate us a little more on that method?
dohcvtec

Return to Technical Information