What HC16 disassembler should we use?

Links to development tools which have been useful to this project

Moderator: Freon

What HC16 disassembler should we use?

Postby cboles » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:30 pm

The options I know of are:

IDA Pro 4.7 Advanced - $795!
IDA Pro 4.3 + writing our own HC16 module with the SDK - free (supposedly 4.3 can be obtained free)
XTOOLS - $50 (just a simple DOS program - doesn't compare to IDA...)

Any ideas? It seems important that we use something that is cheap/free so that everyone can get involved...
cboles
Site Admin

Postby KGreb » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:02 pm

I haven't seen a legitimite legal offer for a free copy of IDA pro, but please prove me wrong. Their SDK appears to be free though.

I've been looking far and wide and haven't found a whole lot. There was a note on the yahoo group that the free Metrowerks Code Warrior "special edition" for HC12 and HC08 could disassemble HC16 code. I've downloaded the software from Metrowerks but haven't tried it out yet.

There's a couple of open source HC11 disassemblers that could be modified as well. Not sure if this is a good path to take.
KGreb

Postby cboles » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:31 pm

I'll have to find it on the web again, but somewhere I saw mention that the 4.3 version of IDA had become a free release, I'm assuming due to it's age and DataRescue's support of the hacking community, particularly in the Russian states. Of course this could have just been a warez version that someone had found and had misinterpreted it as being legitimate. Most of the new IDA features are not needed for this project. If we can legitimately combine 4.3 and a HC16 module, this would be a great free solution.

In the worst case, I think a few of us have access to IDA, and we could dissasemble for everyone else. As the name IDA implies though, disassembly is interactive, and this would create a bottleneck where a couple people are doing all of the hard work.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby cboles » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:35 pm

found the free IDA 4.3:

http://www.programmersheaven.com/search/Download.asp?FileID=37637

I'm not sure if this version works with the SDK or not...
cboles
Site Admin

Postby KGreb » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:54 pm

Just tried it. Looks like it's the eval version, limited to x86 architecture only :(
KGreb

Postby cboles » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:41 am

I've written a HC16 module for IDA 4.7.0.830, but it still needs a bit of work so it can be intelligent about memory reference by looking at index register changes that occur in previous instructions.
cboles
Site Admin

Return to Development Tools