Request for organized downloads page...

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Request for organized downloads page...

Postby MDTURBO » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:07 pm

Is there any chance we can get a comprehensive list of editor programs/projects available (links to downloads or websites) as well as and organized list of maps?

Also can we get a standard xml definition for the editor programs? they all do the same thing, why not use a standard xml schema definition?

Also can we consolidate some of the editor projects into a single editor? There's no real reason to have 4 different editors is there? None of which really cover all the bases for any particular make/model.

Just a few observations I've seen so far of the site and projects in whole. A lot more could be done a lot sooner if everyone cooperated toward common goals.

2 cents...

-R
MDTURBO

Postby Tea cups » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:47 pm

Organized links to maps:
http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/ ... bilityList

Enginuity:
www.enginuity.org

Ecuflash:
www.openecu.org

Ecuedit:
http://www.epifansoft.com/phpBB2/index.php

There's another one, I forget it's name, tunerpro? that isn't really used a whole lot for Subarus.
Tea cups

Postby MDTURBO » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:13 am

Thanks for the links. I did find scoobypedia after some googling.
MDTURBO

Postby qoncept » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:26 am

Standardized definition files and/or consolidating the programs isn't going to happen. I posted a thread before adding user-definable maps in Enginuity, Colby posted what he had come up with. I used it, addressed some of it's issues, and released Enginuity that way. A few months later, Colby released ECUFlash with the same problems fixed in a different way, and now they aren't compatible. ECU Edit's XML structure isn't even close to the same as ours.

The problem is the whole community honestly isn't very open, despite the name. No one is making an effort to make the tools "play nice," and to date only Enginuity's source has actually been released. There is nothing I can do to help on the others, and many users prefer Enginuity and want more features, so I keep working on it. There are actually a few more developers working on Enginuity now as well, which is already helping with the quality and quantity of new features. I really wish there was more teamwork going on in the scene, but what can you do?
qoncept

Postby MDTURBO » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:41 am

I really don't mean to sound like I'm griping or complaining, just wanted to make some observations so as to maybe move some ideas around in the community to help bring about quicker releases and capabilities.

I did notice that yours was the only project that was really 'open' from what I found. I think the site here right now it's more of a dump of "this is what I learned today" type posts rather than actual organized progress toward a centralized store of information and applications... finding posts on here is a pain through searching. I notice that the ecuFlash is really focused on mitsu which is fine, but there could be a concerted effort to have it ship with support for all vehicles stated on this site. Enginuity is getting there, but there are some GUI concerns with that application. I pretty much had to write my own application last night to get a GUI/capability I've been waiting on for a while now from any of the editors. It just seems like there's not much open-ness in the openecu group... release of the colb's logging code was good, but lack of good comments and structure make it pretty long read. To add to the disorganization, there's no consistant standard documentation, mapping (xml) formats, and programming language.

I do this stuff for a living during the day, run a auto parts business part time, and to me the projects here are lacking some structure in regards to timelines, milestones, and feature releases. Obviously you guys are probably doing this in your spare time, but some organization still wont hurt and may help others provide input into your project knowing a given timeline for release.

Again, more 2 cents.

-Rob

p.s. DTCedit is here http://marylandturbo.com/misc/DTCEditInstall.msi and only works on LegacyGT DBW files for now (I own a LGT ;) )

qoncept wrote:Standardized definition files and/or consolidating the programs isn't going to happen. I posted a thread before adding user-definable maps in Enginuity, Colby posted what he had come up with. I used it, addressed some of it's issues, and released Enginuity that way. A few months later, Colby released ECUFlash with the same problems fixed in a different way, and now they aren't compatible. ECU Edit's XML structure isn't even close to the same as ours.

The problem is the whole community honestly isn't very open, despite the name. No one is making an effort to make the tools "play nice," and to date only Enginuity's source has actually been released. There is nothing I can do to help on the others, and many users prefer Enginuity and want more features, so I keep working on it. There are actually a few more developers working on Enginuity now as well, which is already helping with the quality and quantity of new features. I really wish there was more teamwork going on in the scene, but what can you do?
MDTURBO

Postby Tea cups » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:53 am

What specific "GUI concerns" are you having with Enginuity?
Tea cups

Postby qoncept » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:28 am

Yeah.. I'm still looking for help with Enginuity. If you're willing, come help out ;) If you're too busy that's understandable, but stop by and posts some of your concerns in the feature request forum.
qoncept

Postby MDTURBO » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:26 pm

Tea, just the non-windows style MDI windows. Some of the controls are overlapped. Just not my style and it's really just a symptom of using swing.

I'd be glad to help out. I am a .net developer though so no clue regarding Java. I did java in 98 and had no desire to persue it. I can certainly help with debugging and ideas. I wrote a little app last night that modifies dtcs, and can share that code with anyone who'd like it. It's vb.net though so it would of course have to be converted... but it gives you an idea on how to build a checklist interface the way c0bb and just about any other ecu editor will edit dtc codes.
MDTURBO

Postby qoncept » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:22 pm

Sure, I'd love to check it out. kascade is working on adding logging to Enginuity and is getting familiar with the comms, he might be able to pull more out of it than me.

A couple months ago I had considered starting over using VB or maybe VC++, but I decided against it.
qoncept

Postby MDTURBO » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:28 pm

I'm actually writing my latest edition of UTEC Tuner in 05 vb.net. It's definately saved me time with gui coding.

It would be interesting to apply the gui codebase of Utec tuner to an editor for image files but I just don't think I have the extra time right now. :( I dunno, so much todo so little time.
MDTURBO

Postby MDTURBO » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:03 pm

MDTURBO

Re: Request for organized downloads page...

Postby cboles » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:34 pm

i try to keep a list of downloads here:

http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=Downloads

all of the editors are fairly generic - they should be able to cover the bases for any ROM if they have proper definitions.

there are different programs because they are written by individuals, each with a different idea of how things should be done. i have lots that i plan to add to my program (ecuflash), i just need to find the time to do it. this summer has been very busy with other work projects for me, so hopefully after things cool off i can start working on those features.

colby

MDTURBO wrote:Is there any chance we can get a comprehensive list of editor programs/projects available (links to downloads or websites) as well as and organized list of maps?

Also can we get a standard xml definition for the editor programs? they all do the same thing, why not use a standard xml schema definition?

Also can we consolidate some of the editor projects into a single editor? There's no real reason to have 4 different editors is there? None of which really cover all the bases for any particular make/model.

Just a few observations I've seen so far of the site and projects in whole. A lot more could be done a lot sooner if everyone cooperated toward common goals.

2 cents...

-R
cboles
Site Admin

Postby WRicerX » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:48 am

newb subscribe
WRicerX

Return to General Discussion