Getting Started, Doing my Homework before tuning my Auto WRX

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Getting Started, Doing my Homework before tuning my Auto WRX

Postby BigDakota » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:35 pm

Ok, I have an 2005 Auto WRX Wagon.

A few main questions in which I cannot grab from reading other material.

1) From what I see, there are different applications for reading, writing, and editing maps. So all I need to tune is a laptop, these apps and a shitload of studying? I see conflicting info about using other hardware in conjunction with the laptop - UTEC, Accessport.

2) Stage Two is a generic term for what hardware is on your vehicle, UP, TBE. Are all stage two maps different? Where exactly can I get a Stage two map for my specific vehicle.

3)I assume this purist method of laptop tuning is what the pros use. Do they use other hardware? - UTEC, Accessport?

I can see why so many pro tuners are against this method because it is basically debunking this black art. This method is discouraged with the stigma that you can screw your engine up, well of course you can. Anyone can screw anything up without good solid knowledge beforehand which sites like these provide. I mean, if someone didn't have correct knowledge you may see people with no TBE on their cars.

I'm going to fully digest and obsess on this info in hope of learning how to tune myself.

Thanks for your help and thanks for creating this site!!!!!
BigDakota

Postby JRSCCivic98 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:22 pm

I suggest you get on NASIOC and start reading the FAQs that are in the 2.0L Forum and the Engine Management Forum before you do anything else. Then once you've read and understood everything in those do other searches and see what everyone's viewpoints are on different subjects that pertain to mods and EM solutions. You really need to have an understanding of the "concepts" behind these things before you start modifying your car... especially if you've never done it before on any other car.
JRSCCivic98

Postby ECUPancakes » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:46 pm

You'll need a Tactrix cable and a copy of ECUFlash to read/write to your ECU. Then you'll need either ECUEdit or Enginuity to actually edit your ECU ROM file. I use both. You should also get a program called Tari ECU Explorer so you can do datalogging.

All of the above software is free, and the cable costs around $80. It's a great investment.
ECUPancakes

Postby BigDakota » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:51 pm

Cool thanks for the reply. Yeah I've started my reading, I have very basic concepts but definitly need to expand on them. I've always been a do it yourselfer in life. I figure this is a good challenge and will prob feel f***ing great once I succesfully tune my WRX.

Thanks again!
BigDakota

Postby west_minist » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:18 pm

Well, we are all here to help.

Just read a lot and make very small changes and a lot of logging.

When you completey mod, it would be nice to see what a auto can do,
west_minist

Postby silverpike » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:58 pm

BigDakota wrote:Cool thanks for the reply. Yeah I've started my reading, I have very basic concepts but definitly need to expand on them. I've always been a do it yourselfer in life.

You will feel right at home here. This is an excellent community, and most are willing to help if they can.

However, there is a fair amount of background reading first, so make yourself some coffee and be patient. 8)
silverpike

Postby BigDakota » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:29 pm

Well, I flashed to Stage 2 just now. I used ECUFlash and bought the Tactrix cable. I have to say it was extremely easy using a pre-made map, kudos to openecuroms!
BigDakota

Postby west_minist » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:39 pm

Remember to play attention to -kc or non-increasing iam.

IAM max =16.
west_minist

Postby swifty » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:59 am

On the subject of -ve knock correction and low AM, I went for a run last night to log some data after flashing an updated map. IAM was 8, this then showed between -5 and -7 degrees of knock correction and the AM promptly went down to 4. Within 2 seconds it went back up to 8, then progressed to 16 and all seemed well until it went down to 15, where it stayed.

I am wondering if this could have been caused by compressor surge and overboost, causing some det, resulting in the ecu pulling the timing and AM. I wasn't listening for det at the time, I had been listening before and it was quiet and the changes I made were to reduce wastegate duty cycles to reduce overboost caused by fitting a 3 port solenoid.

This morning I reduced them further and reduced boost targets but it still ended up at 15, (no negative knock correction this time though). I had a listen with det cans and it was quiet, knocklite also quiet, so I flashed the stock map on and put in some octane booster and AM is firmly stuck at 16. Seems like there is a problem with my map, I don't have the LM-1 now though so can't check AFRs, figured it was best to be cautious and go for the stock map in the meantime.
swifty

Postby west_minist » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:21 am

use the log and see if u are lean or the timing is high or if it occurs when u get on the accel, where the tip-in might need some more fuel.
west_minist

Postby west_minist » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:06 am

How are things going?

How much power are you making now?

Please keep us posted.
west_minist

Postby BigDakota » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:47 am

So far the car feels great. I have about 50 miles on it since flashing to stage 2. I'm having some issues with Logging. I don't hear any ping or knock and the car feels very smooth and responsive. I've attached my log file from last night. Since I don't have a starting reference to compare it to, can someone please see if it's within good operating range?

Thanks

Well for some reason my file isn't attaching, i will try form home tonight.
BigDakota

Return to General Discussion