How to tune out -kc at low rpm

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

How to tune out -kc at low rpm

Postby engr » Mon May 29, 2006 6:59 pm

I drive an 4eat and my logs are showing upto -7 KC when I accelerate hard in the range of 1k - 2k RPM just at the beginning of accelerating. What can I do to tune it out? I've got ecuedit going along with the proper xml, but don't know what to do or how to do it.. I was going to try to increase fuel to that area and decrease timing by 3 degrees or so to see if I can get the -kc to dissapear. I don't know which of the 3d or 2d maps I should be playing with .. I was going to experiment incrementally, but I thought it'd be a good place to start off here with all the experts..

It runs great the rest of the power band with kc's hitting upto 12.. it's just the damn automatic is so sluggish at the low end and bogs like crazy.

here's the log.. it was a really hot day in toronto, like 32 degree's celicius..

and any suggestion would be appreciated..
Attachments
-kc.zip
(2.05 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
engr

Postby LGT-3-6 » Mon May 29, 2006 8:52 pm

Are you sure there's nothing mechanically wrong with the engine? Pull the timing back a few degrees just for that area, and then see if the KC still registered that. If it's noise from something else the KC won't move very much. You could try the old fashioned method too, add some octane booster, see if it goes away.
LGT-3-6

Postby engr » Mon May 29, 2006 10:07 pm

This was the first time I'm seeing -7 kc, I'm betting it's because of the extremely hot weather.. on cool days, I get -2 avg for kc in that RPM range.. I've tried octane boosters before, it didn't do anything..

I don't believe there are anything wronge with the engine, it does have noisy valve train but that's about it.. you can see in the log that there is an actual knock event just before the -7 kc..

Which of the 3d map do I pull timing from?
engr

Postby LGT-3-6 » Tue May 30, 2006 5:59 am

Base Timing. If octane boosters don't help, then it may be a false knock reading. If you register knock it's just basically a microphone picking up noise, it doesn't actually measure knock. However you will find out if you pull all the timing in that area back and it still does it!
LGT-3-6

Return to General Discussion