Newby looking for guidance

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Newby looking for guidance

Postby IhaveanSTi » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:42 pm

First of all I'll say hello to everyone here. I wasn't sure where to put this, but here seemed the most logical.

I'm based in the UK and currently running my third Impreza, a European Spec STi (I presume this means EDM in abbreviated Lingo?), currently sitting in factory form, however I'm building up my purchases and its soon to be running IRO 350bhp (flywheel, standard is 270).

My first Impreza was a 2005 WRX, that ended up with 280bhp, up from 225, running 95 Ron fuel with very few choice mods, all carried out by myself, then remapped by AFP. That's a pretty good jump for the fuel with the mods I had, if you didn't realise that's why I was telling you :lol: even Andy was impressed with the car.

Next was a 2000 UK Turbo, this time I went a bit further, it ended with approx 300-310 bhp, again all mods carried out by me apart from the electronic side of things.

I realise that they're not exactly huge powers, but I've not had the money in the past to go with huge specs on my cars. But everything has been carried out myself apart from the tuning.

Now I'm looking to invest in the STi and I'm also developing my own exhaust system so being able to map the car myself would be a huge help to see where I can improve the system and also add other mods later on without spending thousands on tweaks to maps.

As I said above, I've modified the cars, but it e just never taken part in the electronic side of things. I fully understand what the problems can be if its not mapped properly, however, I'm willing to read everything that is put in front of me and learn what to do. I've also seen some of the mappers in the UK and I think that if they can do it, I can.

What I would like to know is exactly what software/hardware is required. If I was to go the EcuTek rout, I know it would be the software and the cable, however I've read a couple of things on interweb that suggest I'd need the likes of RomRaider and EcuFlash software plus the Tactrix cable for opensource? Is this correct?

If so, why? Why do you require 2 lots of software? If you don't, then tell me I'm being stupid.

Your help is appreciated guys and I look forward to being part of this community. This looks a great site with plenty of knowledgable people who brains I could pick for info and help if needed.
I'll also be donating my fair share so long as everything goes ok.

Thank you
Alan
IhaveanSTi

Re: Newby looking for guidance

Postby IhaveanSTi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:35 am

Well this is great 29 views and not a single piece of help.
IhaveanSTi

Postby IhaveanSTi » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:37 am

Come on guys 56 views and no reply? Surely someone has an opinion on what I've mentioned? Non?
IhaveanSTi

Postby KzooBaja » Fri May 10, 2013 11:32 am

Yea, I'm having the same problem too... I have worked on cars for over 20 years... even done some mild tuning on Honda's in the past... But I have no experience with Subaru's!... I bought the Tactrix Cable but have no Idea how to use it at this point!...
KzooBaja

Return to General Discussion