AVCS Camshaft offset

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

AVCS Camshaft offset

Postby mixja » Sat May 13, 2006 11:55 pm

I know this is a bit off topic but I'm currently tuning an Autronic ECU and have come to playing with AVCS.

Now the Autronic expresses AVCS timing in terms of crankshaft degrees - quite different from the way the factory ECU map works as I understand it.

If I understand the factory AVCS map correctly, if there is a value of say 40 in the map, this means the valve lift is advanced by 40 crankshaft degrees, correct? And does this mean the valve will lift 40 crankshaft degrees earlier than normal or 40 crankshaft degrees later than normal?

And 40 crankshaft degrees = 20 camshaft degrees right?

Assuming my understanding of the factory AVCS map is correct, the next thing I need to determine is the value (offset) in crankshaft degrees the intake valves are at normal lift (i.e. no cam advance). I was thinking if I logged the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor with the factory ECU (these are both accessible via the SSM protocol) and captured values when the factory AVCS map has 0 values in the AVCS map, the difference between the two would essentially be the offset I'm looking for.

Any ideas?
mixja

Return to General Discussion