Few general questions

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Few general questions

Postby boostinscooby » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:46 am

I have a 2012 USDM STi. The stock tune is garbage. Litterally falls on its face at 5500 rpms and then kicks back in at about 6k. So I have a few questions. I have a bit of tuning background so I'm not completely in the dark when it comes to the fundamentals.

So say I buy the 2.0 tactrix usb, plugged in, software downloaded. Can I pull my factory map and store it in order to reflash it back in when dealer maintenance is due and will they be able to tell that its a reflashed factory map?

Next question, does the openecu tuning software have base maps loaded with it? Say a 11'-12' STi stage one map? I dont plan on doing anything crazy to the car until my last "free" oil change is complete so really I'm just looking to pull a little more safe power out of the car and clean up the factory map.

I've browsed the forum a bit and didnt run across any shared maps to use. Thats about everything I need to know! Thanks for the help!
boostinscooby

Re: Few general questions

Postby radsdau » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:10 pm

boostinscooby wrote:So say I buy the 2.0 tactrix usb, plugged in, software downloaded. Can I pull my factory map and store it in order to reflash it back in when dealer maintenance is due and will they be able to tell that its a reflashed factory map?

Yes. Keeping the stock ROM is highly recommended in all situations.

boostinscooby wrote:Next question, does the openecu tuning software have base maps loaded with it? Say a 11'-12' STi stage one map? I dont plan on doing anything crazy to the car until my last "free" oil change is complete so really I'm just looking to pull a little more safe power out of the car and clean up the factory map.

Generally no. Some forum users are happy to sell tunes to you but this is often not a great idea. It is safest to take your car to someone with a dyno- who knows what they're doing- and get them to make up some tunes for you.

Remember- it is highly possible- and quite easy- to break your engine by doing this wrong. If you have no tuning background, I recommend you do NOT do this yourself. The choice is still yours though of course.
radsdau

Return to General Discussion