Compilers???

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Compilers???

Postby taphonomist » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:55 pm

I've been looking around at C compilers and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I'm pretty new to C, so I don't know what the advantages or disadvantages are for this type of work. I did install Bloodshed (entertaining name and open source) and did a few of the examples and built a little app of my own and it seemed pretty reasonable. I also have Cygwin and have compiled the code there (not yet run with my car), but if I understand correctly that code can be transfered to C fairly easily.

taphonomist
taphonomist

Postby yarikoptic » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:24 pm

I would just use g++/gcc under linux or windows withing cygwin (what you probably used already) or even in pure windows. I believe it compiles for windows platform- just
http://www.google.com/search?q=g%2B%2B%20windows
[/url]
yarikoptic

Postby oman » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:13 pm

Although Microsoft Visual C++ isn't free it's certainly one of the few microsoft products that's worth the money. Getting GNU/GCC tools set up in any environment isn't exactly easy but if you manage to do it you'll probably pick up some useful skills. Also you might want to check out DJGPP. I haven't used it in a while but it's adequate for standard C coding.
oman

Postby taphonomist » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:24 am

I've been working for the past couple of days with the Bloodshed Dev-C++ and starting to remember this stuff from a class I took about... hell, 6 or so years ago. I looked at the MS package, but I'm not too interested in giving them more money than I have to. I'm still a little fuzzy on the differences between cygwin code and any other C++ code. Is it basically the difference between dos and linux specific code??

Sorry for all the noob questions, but I figure there are some others out there who are just getting started in this too.

taphonomist
taphonomist

Return to General Discussion