Ecuflash future developpement ?

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Ecuflash future developpement ?

Postby Frenzy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:20 pm

Hello !

Does ecuflash have planned any future ecu tuning ?
Frenzy

Re: Ecuflash future developpement ?

Postby Merp » Fri May 11, 2012 7:00 pm

It would seem as through Mr. Boles is now pursuing for-profit business ventures.

Given the track record of support on the OP 2.0 and totally closed source nature of everything at open ecu, the answer would appear to be no.
Merp

Postby radsdau » Sun May 13, 2012 3:19 pm

Hardly surprising really; he has put in years of work developing this on and off for what is probably very little return.
From me personally, I'm grateful to Colby for what he has bought to the world through this website and ECUFlash/OP2. Colby- you da man.
radsdau

Postby Wiretap » Mon May 14, 2012 12:36 am

radsdau wrote:Hardly surprising really; he has put in years of work developing this on and off for what is probably very little return.
From me personally, I'm grateful to Colby for what he has bought to the world through this website and ECUFlash/OP2. Colby- you da man.

Open source development is not about return. Open source development allows the community to continue even if the original developer loses interest. Open source development would be what would be responsible for ensuring that ECUFlash continued to progress and offer support for more and more cars.

Open source development is what this project needs. Why do you think Linux has been so successful?
Wiretap

Postby todd-w » Mon May 14, 2012 10:40 am

radsdau wrote:Hardly surprising really; he has put in years of work developing this on and off for what is probably very little return.

8) 110% correct
todd-w

Postby radsdau » Tue May 15, 2012 3:50 pm

Wiretap wrote:Open source development would be what would be responsible for ensuring that ECUFlash continued to progress and offer support for more and more cars.
Open source development is what this project needs.

Yes it would make that more likely. However Colby really is under no obligation to make it OS.
Wiretap wrote:Why do you think Linux has been so successful?

Nearly as successful as Windows and OSX right? ;)
radsdau

Postby Wiretap » Wed May 16, 2012 1:23 pm

radsdau wrote:
Wiretap wrote:Open source development would be what would be responsible for ensuring that ECUFlash continued to progress and offer support for more and more cars.

Yes it would make that more likely. However Colby really is under no obligation to make it OS.

If you're only counting the desktop user environment sure, it hasn't made anywhere near the same level of penetration. But I spend my life in and around datacentres, and this is where the numbers get entertaining with about 70% or more of the servers in such places running linux.
Wiretap

Postby Merp » Wed May 16, 2012 1:55 pm

While I'm not saying it's a lucrative business by any means.. I think 'very little return' is off base. IMO "very little return" would be a pure "open" project where hardware is sold at cost+labor. The fact is that it is a for-profit cost sharing platform similar to Android, only the software is "just kidding" open source.

radsdau wrote:

Indeed there is no "obligation".. it's more a matter of integrity and character.

From: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpos ... ostcount=1
Colby Boles wrote:THE PROPOSAL

What I'm proposing is coming up with an open platform for modifying code and data on the stock Subaru ECU much as the ECUTEK and Cobb commercial solutions do. The "platform" would consist of low cost hardware (say $100 for a USB version) which interfaces to the ODBII port and free, open source software running on a PC (and perhaps ported to other platforms). Some of the features I'm envisioning are:

Sadly, closing the source was added to the 'feature' list.

radsdau wrote:

Android.
Merp

Postby radsdau » Wed May 16, 2012 6:29 pm

@merp: What I was meaning was that a project doesn't have to be OS to be successful.
I agree that ECUFlash is probably going to go nowhere while it remains closed. I too would like to see it opened up in a similar fashion to ROMRaider. I'm sure Colby would like to continue to sell his OP2 cables though. May as well have some passive incoming going on.
radsdau

Postby Wiretap » Wed May 16, 2012 8:54 pm

radsdau wrote:@merp: What I was meaning was that a project doesn't have to be OS to be successful.
I agree that ECUFlash is probably going to go nowhere while it remains closed. I too would like to see it opened up in a similar fashion to ROMRaider. I'm sure Colby would like to continue to sell his OP2 cables though. May as well have some passive incoming going on.

But opening the project might mean that OP2 cables sell more? I mean, Subaru already specify them as compatible with FlashWrite (Their own updating software). It certainly wouldn't reduce sales by any means.
Wiretap

Postby Sasha_A80 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:45 pm

What problem is that ecuFlash is not OS project ? You may still use this for free.
You may participate in RR and\or freeSSM development for edit\logging. You may still buy\use\develop a hardware for ecu flashing.

The problem is that not too many people really help in (OS) development.

Having almost no help in code\harware development Colby had decided to not open the code. We could not blame him for his decision.
Sasha_A80

Postby Merp » Wed May 16, 2012 10:46 pm

@radsdau: I think being open may even sell more "Open"port cables with further development.

As it is now, I don't even use the fancy functionality of my OP2.0 because the log rate is so slow on non-CAN cars and the configuration system is a pita.

If the project were open, I have no doubts that at this point we would already have an integrated Edit/Log/RAMTune/Flash program, complete with OP2.0 standalone logging integration, data aggregation, and analysis tools.

No doubt this would be a major selling point for the "Open"port.

Sasha_A80 wrote:What problem is that ecuFlash is not OS project ? You may still use this for free.
You may participate in RR and\or freeSSM development for edit\logging. You may still buy\use\develop a hardware for ecu flashing.

The problem is that not too many people really help in (OS) development.

Having almost no help in code\harware development Colby had decided to not open the code. We could not blame him for his decision.

I don't see it as a problem. It's a shame at best and deception at worst.

Closing the source because you didn't get enough help at the start of a project is like taking your ball and running home when things don't go your way. Still calling it "open" is like saying you're still playing ball. :mrgreen:
Merp

Postby Sasha_A80 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:59 pm

Merp wrote:If the project were open, I have no doubts that at this point we would already have an integrated Edit/Log/RAMTune/Flash program, complete with OP2.0 standalone logging integration, data aggregation, and analysis tools.

I still do not understand how come that mr.Colby prevents this to be done ?
You have OS software for Edit\Logging, free Renesas software\documentation for Flashing.
I just see that nobody wants to do RamTune\Analysis\Integration tools as OS or for free.

Closed nature of OP2 is not an obstracle at all since anyone interested has own solution for flashing\logging if OP2 is not applicable for cost\nontransparent software or some other reason.
Sasha_A80

Postby Merp » Thu May 17, 2012 6:30 am

A project named "open" should facilitate the development process.

Instead, this one is impedes the development process in a way, quite contrary to the "open" name.

What I'm saying is that had the project been "open" it surely would have attracted more development (past and future) than being closed, and this is a shame.
Merp

Postby radsdau » Thu May 17, 2012 4:42 pm

Perhaps it's due for a name change then. Perhaps that way people wouldn't get so upset about Colby's decision.

When all else fails- there's nothing stopping you writing your own reflashing plugins for ROMRaider. That's open source. And you can start on it today.
radsdau

Next

Return to General Discussion