Racing rules - ECU checking questions

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Racing rules - ECU checking questions

Postby Cashmo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:11 am

Please excuse my basic questions, I'm not exactly a tuning expert. I'm on a rules writing committee for an racing organization and trying to educate myself on our options regarding ECU tuning/checking for a class that's supposed to be close to bone stock. Our current rules don't allow any ECU modifications but the subject has come up regarding how to verify if one's been modded. If we can't ensure a stock ECU tune the argument is that we should just change the rule to allow tuning. But that will be perceived as a "must do" mod, especially for classes that include turbo cars, adding more costs to run.

Is the following plausible? Since each mfg has multiple ECU versions through the life of a car model, could we require that competitors run the latest version and then get that checksum to compare to? Or is it too easy to reprogram the ECU back to stock with the touch of a few interior buttons between the competition and tech/impound? I'm guessing there's no universal reader to use on all cars, correct?

Is there any other way to ensure a stock tune on modern cars?

Thanks for your help,
Jeff
Cashmo

Re: Racing rules - ECU checking questions

Postby Sasha_A80 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:44 am

Just some arguments

There is no unified equipment\protocols that allow ROM\LearingValues\Checksum to be extracted. Moreover manufacturers are usually hide those possibilities. They are to provide the ability to download new ROM image not upload\verify.

For modern ecus the full ROM image may be rewritten in minutes, calibration values ( that completely define the car behavior ) in seconds, learning values ( that may do the same with the car ) are rewritten in a second. Moreover by means of learning value correction made via the diagnostic connector together with ecu data logging the full engine recalibration maybe provided in realtime for completely stock ROM image. It is impossible to verify that such a realtime recalibration is implemented without analyzing the "diagnostic" data stream ( that may come thru k-line, fast speed CAN, low speed interior CAN ). Applicable reflash/recalibration/realtime software maybe installed inside ANY equipment connected to those buses ( dash, immo, air conditioner, door opener, CD disc changer, etc.) and communicate with the engine ecu thru the corresponding bus gateway.

My opinion is that ecu software\calibration modifications should be allowed ( any new manufacturer's ROM image does the same but for some reason may or may not be known\available for all competitors ) provided engine\ecu hardware is stock.
Sasha_A80

Return to General Discussion