iPad or Tablet platform

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

iPad or Tablet platform

Postby fiveandahalf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:46 am

Does anyone know if ecuflash will ever able to flash my ecu from a iPad or tablet?
fiveandahalf

Re: iPad or Tablet platform

Postby fiveandahalf » Sun May 13, 2012 11:35 am

what about some source code..so one could develop an app. i want to be able to flash on android, linux and ios. thx
fiveandahalf

Postby radsdau » Sun May 13, 2012 3:14 pm

I don't know of any iOS ports of ECUFlash, and of course it's possible, but the things to consider are the extra hardware costs of a wifi or BT OBDII interface, and also the reliability of such a critical action over a wireless connection. I know the technology is great and everything but I'll bet it's far less reliable to reflash over wifi; I don't know if I'll be doing that with my car.
radsdau

Postby todd-w » Mon May 14, 2012 10:42 am

an ecu Unbricking service would be a good money spinner :lol:
todd-w

Postby Sasha_A80 » Mon May 14, 2012 11:23 pm

There is no problem to develop BT enabled bootmode programmer to overcome reliability issue.
Or a simple SD card bootmode loader similar to SSM3 approach.
Sasha_A80

Postby fiveandahalf » Tue May 22, 2012 2:15 pm

radsdau wrote:I don't know of any iOS ports of ECUFlash, and of course it's possible, but the things to consider are the extra hardware costs of a wifi or BT OBDII interface, and also the reliability of such a critical action over a wireless connection. I know the technology is great and everything but I'll bet it's far less reliable to reflash over wifi; I don't know if I'll be doing that with my car.

good point to take into consideration about the reliability. maybe some error protection to prevent a bricked situation? what about using the tactrix cable thru usb on an usb supported device? ie android tablet.
fiveandahalf

Postby radsdau » Tue May 22, 2012 2:33 pm

fiveandahalf wrote:what about using the tactrix cable thru usb on an usb supported device? ie android tablet.

That would be a great way to go. Getting the drivers for Linux/Android would be the biggest challenge. I think they exist for OSX already, not sure how close that makes it.
radsdau

Postby Wiretap » Tue May 22, 2012 11:22 pm

Early OpenPorts are just an FT232 device :) Supported under linux for longer than mac.
Wiretap

Postby radsdau » Wed May 23, 2012 3:54 pm

Wiretap wrote:Early OpenPorts are just an FT232 device :) Supported under linux for longer than mac.

OP1.x yes, not OP2 though. And the last OSX release for ECUFlash is V1.38, which I doubt supports the latest OP2 firmware (not sure about this though).
radsdau

Postby fiveandahalf » Thu May 24, 2012 7:38 am

is there a way to test this out. to find out if it will work with a linux/android device without bricking my ecu. like can i do a read only to make sure i can communicate with the ecu.

i have another thought about using a rasperrby pi (cheap linux pc) to do this. i basically am looking for alternative/cheaper ways to reflash my ecu. i dont want to buy a laptop for this purpose only. this would be the only thing i would use a laptop for. if i would use a raspberry pi it would only be used for reading/writing to the ecu, not modifing parameters. i want to edit on my windows desktop pc then reflash with either a pi, or tablet.
fiveandahalf

Postby radsdau » Thu May 24, 2012 3:15 pm

fiveandahalf wrote:i basically am looking for alternative/cheaper ways to reflash my ecu. i dont want to buy a laptop for this purpose only. this would be the only thing i would use a laptop for.

A cheap 200-300 laptop on ebay would be the best bet. I got a secondhand lenovo T60 a couple of years back for 380, I'm sure there are better options around now.
If cost is the only factor to consider here, the complexity of the task in porting this app to another platform is just too high.
radsdau

Postby fiveandahalf » Fri May 25, 2012 5:36 am

i'm talking a $35 dollar mini linux pc vs 200-300 laptop. im not interested in buying a laptop, for the sole purpose of flashing my ecu..and yes 200-300 is alot right for me to spend on a laptop. i guess i will find out myself. i work in software as my daily job so porting isn't a problem as long as i have what i need. but it doesn't look like that is possible either. so i guess i will break out the extension cords and use an old desktop pc
fiveandahalf

Postby Wiretap » Sat May 26, 2012 2:56 am

I take it you're a lot less worried about bricking your ECU? USB extension cables are prone to noise. Noise is prone to causing corruption :/
Wiretap

Postby fiveandahalf » Tue May 29, 2012 4:21 am

i was refering to the ac extension cords to bring my desk top the car..and i would have to use somekind of usb extension cord to connect openport 2.0 to a laptop??? and lastly i would do multiple reads before i would write any data.
fiveandahalf

Postby littlepuppy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:32 pm

i agree with radsdau,a cheap laptop would be the best bet. i got a 8 inch android tablet in a e-shop with free shipping. :mrgreen:
littlepuppy

Next

Return to General Discussion