New member questions

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

New member questions

Postby bravo685 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:41 am

Hi everyone!

I would like to ask where does one begin? I know this is a very open question but I would like to learn more about this software and I dont know where to start.

I have read through the Mitsu forum looking for my car ( 2009 Lancer GTS, manual trans. ) and it seems so are alot of other people. I would like to pull the oem rom out and save it but it looks like there are no .xml files available for my year to work with the hex. Is there any documentation on how to build this file? I would love to hear from anyone about their experience and what they have done.

Thanks
bravo685

Re: New member questions

Postby radsdau » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:48 pm

Welcome to the community. :)

Pulling the ROM from your ECU is the first step. There may be an xml definition for it already even though the description may not match exactly (it may be 07 or 08 for example).

Post the ROM here anyway; someone may have built a definition already that they are willing to share with you.

If there really are no definitions available and you need to create your own, the best way is to find one that is as close as possible to your ROM. If there is one for the same ROM code but an earlier version, you'd start there and inherit that definition. Then you'd have to manually edit the hex addresses to correct the new def. A good way to match up existing tables (assuming the data in them is the same or similar) is to open both ROMs side by side in a hex editor and do pattern matches by eye. It's time consuming and taxing on the brain but most of the time it gets a result. I'm sure some people have written tools to automate some of this but for a one-off it's not worth the trouble.

All the best; let us know how you go.
radsdau

Return to General Discussion