AVR Atmega as Stand Alone?

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

AVR Atmega as Stand Alone?

Postby adammarinette » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Ok first off, I know this is not in the right part of the forum, so please feel free to tell me where to repost.

I am looking to make a stand alone ecu for a small engine. I want to keep it simple at first. Probably like a Briggs and Stratton, and just the fuel to start out. Probably using a Bosch fuel injector robbed out of a car .Later I would like to control spark.

I am familiar with OEM fuel injection systems, as far as a mechanic would go, not an engineer. But I have a pretty good grasp. I would like to use a maybe just a Map, or TPS, and a Crank Pos, and a temp sensor, or choke switch to for cold start. Later I will add a Cam sensor for spark.

I currently have and Arduino which uses the Atmega168. Although I am thinking about not using the arduino software, since it has not utilities for fuel injection. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction to what software would interface with the Atmega 168, or 328, or8, and also I am looking for code to make it behave like an ecu. I realize that making Rom's from scratch will be very long time consuming, but I am willing to put in the time if someone is willing to lend some advice.

This is similar to the setup I am shooting for http://www.mmuzzin.hostei.com/TurboChargedEngine.htm I can see that it is a Atmega on a homemade board, but I don’t know what software he is using to tune it, or what code he used to make the processor read the fuel maps and implement them.
adammarinette

Return to General Discussion