Physical ECU Burn???

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Physical ECU Burn???

Postby sureshot007 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:12 pm

I have a 98 Forester, and after some troubleshooting, I have discovered that the ECU has some damage to it internally - specifically the diode at D602 has a crack around the center, and the trace on the board leading too it has flaked up and cracked. So my question is does anyone know that system is related to this diode, or maybe help me figure out what pin it leads to? I'm pretty sure there is a short somewhere on the chassis that caused this, but it would be nice to figure it out before burning another ECU.
sureshot007

Re: Physical ECU Burn???

Postby radsdau » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:04 pm

No I don't know what that's for but don't go for a new ECU yet; the diode should be pretty easy to replace and the track to repair.
Sorry for stating the obvious, but are there any trouble codes that might help point you in the right direction?
radsdau

Re: Physical ECU Burn???

Postby sureshot007 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:58 pm

No codes.

I took a volt meter and started poking around. The path that is burned is connected directly to a pin. Now I need to figure something out. Is the attached pic a reference to the ECU or the plug? This makes a difference as to whether it's pin 82 or pin 85.

sureshot007

Return to General Discussion