OpenPort 1.0 now available for sale!

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

OpenPort 1.0 now available for sale!

Postby cboles » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:43 pm

It took longer than I had hoped, but I now have the OpenPort 1.0 hardware interface completed and ready for sale! It may very well be the world's smallest full-featured commerce site since there is only one product for sale, but hopefully other great things will follow. If you would like to buy an OpenPort, go to

http://tactrix.com

I will be shipping these out starting Monday., April 4, 2005.

I'm excited to get the ball rolling now - I have a lot of software to share soon! Now that the hardware is here, I can focus on software again...

Colby
Last edited by cboles on Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:26 pm

just ordered mine!!

yay!
Hitokiri

Postby yarikoptic » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:08 am

Probably I've got confused somewhere... I understand that the main idea behind this interface is the extension of default OBD-II interface to allow also ECU reprogramming on recent subarus, or even support for SSM. And I hoped that it can be used as a regular OBD-II interface on any ISO-9141 compliant OBD-II car, as is my Subaru Legacy 1995. Is that so? Can I use it for basic OBD-II routines on my Subi? or I've got it all wrong? I just saw on the site "The OpenPort 1.0 is a USB based interface tool for 2002-2005 Subaru WRX engine computers" and got sad -- I thought to go for it ;-)

If I can use it as a regular OBD-II interface, will it be compatible with any existing OBD-II software? not that I'm afraid to participate in a development of new one but...

I would greatly appreciate clarification and if someone describes me why software is not compatible across different OBD-II interfaces -- I thought that all of them just covert tweaked OBD-II protocol encoding into a regular binary serial.

Thank you in advance
yarikoptic

Postby cboles » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:14 am

The OpenPort communication interface is designed to work with any ISO-9141 car. The only issue is that it provides a regulated 12V output on pin 11 of the J1962 connector for ECU reflashing. This is an OEM defined pin that Subaru has chosen to use for this purpose. I can't be sure if it is used for something else on Subarus other than the WRX. So the interface can work for you, but you would need to do one of the following.

1) Verify that this pin is used for the same purpose, is not connected, or is otherwise safe to have 12V applied to it.
2) Have me send you a version of the OpenPort with this pin removed. I will probably offer this as a seperate item on the tacrix.com site to help avoid confusion.

As for software, I am in the process of adding support for the OpenPort to the OpenDiag OBDII project. It's very straightforward to add support - the only differences between different OBDII serial interfaces are in how they draw power and do L-line signaling using different handshaking lines.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby yarikoptic » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:55 am

Thank you a lot for replying!

I will get into my car and check out if I have that 11th pin at all in my obd-ii interface. If not - then I'm safe and I will go grab one of your interfaces.

as I understand, there is already some alpha software version which can at least pull out the codes from my beast, right?
yarikoptic

Postby bofh » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:37 am

I will be putting a switch on my pin 11. That way, I can get dual use out of it with other cars.

But to the other poster, are you sure your 95 Legacy is full ODB-II? I thought it was only 96 and up, and pre 96 was ODB-I, or a odd hybrid. That said, Since this is just an interface, and all of the fun stuff is in software, you have a good chance of making something work...

Last thing. Is there some reason you need to use the e-commerce site? Is there any way I can just call you up, and send a check? Or is KGreb ordering one? Can he get two, and I'll just get it from him?
bofh

Postby yarikoptic » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:35 am

bofh wrote:I will be putting a switch on my pin 11. That way, I can get dual use out of it with other cars.

possible problem is that the case was told to be sealed and hard to take apart...

But to the other poster, are you sure your 95 Legacy is full ODB-II? I thought it was only 96 and up, and pre 96 was ODB-I, or a odd hybrid.

Never can know anything for sure :-) OBD-II scanners read out trouble codes easily, but I'm not sure if it will provide any additional information - I didn't have any OBD-II interface in my hands. But when I look at specificly 1995 Legacy Service manual I see:
Code: Select all
3) Using the OBD-II general scan tool, call up diagnostic
trouble code(s) and freeze frame data.
OBD-II general scan tool functions consist of:
(1) MODE $01: Current powertrain diagnostic data
(2) MODE $02: Powertrain freeze frame data
(3) MODE $03: Emission-related powertrain diagnostic
trouble codes
(4) MODE $04: Clear/Reset emission-related diagnostic
information
(5) MODE $05: Oxygen sensor monitoring test results
Read out data according to repair procedures.
(For detailed operation procedures, refer to the OBD-II
General Scan Tool Operation Manual.)
NOTE:
For details concerning diagnostic trouble codes, refer to
the DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) LIST .

Also I see: 1) Prepare a general scan tool (OBD-II general scan tool)
required by SAE J1978. So at least it confirms to this standard :-)

And it does have pin 11... I'm not sure if it is loaded but at least there is a pin in a socket :-/ I need to check wiring diagram to see where it goes to
[/quote]
yarikoptic

Postby yarikoptic » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:42 am

uploaded image (from the same 1995 manual) says that pin 11 is not loaded... so hopefully it is so... the last check - is check under dash board if really 11 is not loaded :-)
Attachments
obd.jpg
obd.jpg (81.94 KiB) Viewed 8028 times
yarikoptic

Postby Spiider » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:57 pm

I tried about 4 times to order one and I think the creditcard system is not working properly.

Can I paypal or something?
Spiider

Postby Spiider » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:03 pm

BTW, Subaru numbers their pins backwards to the standard 1=16 and 16=1 compared to J1962.

I see from your earlier pictures of the interface that you have pin 9 and 11 populated properly though, so I guess you know whats correct with 9 and 11.

RS232 pin 4 (DTR) connects to pin 9.

12v precision regulated dc goes to pin 11, battery voltage won't do it reliably.
Spiider

Postby cboles » Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:08 pm

bofh wrote:Last thing. Is there some reason you need to use the e-commerce site? Is there any way I can just call you up, and send a check? Or is KGreb ordering one? Can he get two, and I'll just get it from him?

I set up th e-commerce site because it's actually easier to manage orders, CC processing, and the like that way. You can call me up and send a check if you like, I'll probably just end up typing your info into the site though :)
cboles
Site Admin

Postby cboles » Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:10 pm

Spiider wrote:I tried about 4 times to order one and I think the creditcard system is not working properly.

Can I paypal or something?

I can add Paypal to the site, but I generally try to avoid Paypal when I can. I'd like to follow up with you on what went wrong on the site when you ordered though...

Colby
cboles
Site Admin

Postby yarikoptic » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:55 am

yarikoptic wrote:uploaded image (from the same 1995 manual) says that pin 11 is not loaded... so hopefully it is so... the last check - is check under dash board if really 11 is not loaded :-)

I checked from the inside of the dash board -- I have wiring exactly as picture says :-) So I assume I'm safe :-) now I can order :-)
yarikoptic

Postby cboles » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:32 am

The wiring diagram you have posted is interesting - it looks like there are pins dedicated to the SSM protocol whereas on the WRX you just do SSM over the K-line. Are you able to do SSM on the K-line of your vehicle, or only OBD2 stuff?

Colby
cboles
Site Admin

Postby yarikoptic » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:49 am

cboles wrote:Are you able to do SSM on the K-line of your vehicle, or only OBD2 stuff?
Colby

I'm a n00b to such things... I would be happy to try if you give me links to some start points. Thanx in advance!
yarikoptic

Next

Return to General Discussion