New guy here saying hello and so on

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

New guy here saying hello and so on

Postby otakurx » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:44 am

Hello all, found this site while doing some further ECU research because I find myself cheap money wise and not overly zealous to by an AccessPort for my RX-8 to do some further ECU tuning. Now I don't mind spending some time on this tho so I figured maybe I could help expand the supported vehicles for this project. I do know that Mazda ECU's are similar in many ways to Ford ECU's and figure that can be a benefit to working with it.

I have been doing tuning with piggy backs and 3rd party ECU's for a bit as well as a lot of time spent tuning carburated vehicles; from bikes to cars. I currently have a 1983 RX-7 with a 465cfm custom made and tested carburettor on it, a 2004 RX-8 (the one I want to tune eventually) and am in the process of building a Delorean. For work I am a systems engineer and programmer working mostly in Linux and Unix environments and I've been wanting to combine this two passions for a while and this seems like a good place to start.

Now I've not yet worked with an ECU beyond simple monitoring using simple devices and don't plan to jump head long into reflashing the car for now I figure I need to collect raw data. Any tips or pointers as I get going? I plan on purchasing the PDF for the protocol standard to have as a reference but am not sure if there is anything else I should look to get my hands on. Also I don't know if anyone else is working on similar ECU's from Mazda and if so I would be quite happy to team up.

Oh, almost forgot, my name is Michael and I'm from New Hampshire, USA.
otakurx

Re: New guy here saying hello and so on

Postby otakurx » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:10 pm

Bump, Mazda Support?
otakurx

Postby icetray » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:49 am

I'm interested in the mazda lineup as well.....though it doesn't look like there is anything open.....everything is commercial

pm me....maybe we can team up on this project...
icetray

Postby Mr^Mania » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:30 pm

Hi there,

Im doing a lot of Mazda cars, especially on Mazda 3 1.6 and 2.0, Mazda 5, Mazda 6 2.0, 2.3 and 2.5, RX-8 and Mazda Premacy. Most of my mods, base on stock engine and do alot of pyggybacks, With new born of ECU, they are intelligent and piggybacks no longer with that as they learn and back to factory tuned. I hope, I can co-operate with you guys and break the Mazda rules ECU! I'm up with you guys.
Mr^Mania

Postby otakurx » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:21 am

Sweet, ya I got a little team building around this. Most who I am working with are focused on mapping out the ROM memory locations. I am currently focused on talking to the ECU. My first goal is doing a ROM dump through the OBD2 port then I'll be working on flashing the ROM back. Once that is done then I'll join in with mapping the ROM out for the different Mazda vehicles.
otakurx

Return to General Discussion