Wake up call...

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Wake up call...

Postby bofh » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:24 pm

Well, not much has gone on in a while... Since we all need this stuff, I thought I would start a discussion and what was holding us back. I'll go first.

For me it is tools. I have a scantool, and I can make it quite fast, but it still does not read everything I need. Also, it can't write... There was some talk of new hardware, but it stalled. There was some work on dataloging hardware, but it stalled as well. If we are just stuck, I may start a discussion of what software there is now, and how to make it work... Thoughts?
bofh

Postby cboles » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:54 am

The hardware is not stalled. The boards are at an assembly house right now being put together. I would expect to have them back in a week or so and begin the final test / package assembly.

I can't speak for the datalogging, as I'm not working on that. Right now I'm working on building a good dissasembly module for IDA so I can better understand the ECU code, and use that to build our own downloadable kernel. Once we have that, we can dump ROMs at will and reflash ECUs using software that was solely developed by OpenECU.

I'm also putting together a new rally car this year, so I'm spread a little thin!

Colby
cboles
Site Admin

Well...

Postby bofh » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:09 pm

It seemed stalled from here. :D Good to hear it. I think once you have it in more hands, things will start happening. Keep us posted!
bofh

Postby cboles » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:20 pm

my thoughts exactly. that's why i'm making the hardware - so that everyone can be on the same page.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby cboles » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:43 pm

it's here! see the announcement
cboles
Site Admin

Postby bofh » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:43 am

Woot Woot! :banana: What? No Banana? Image
bofh

Postby Spiider » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:41 pm

Ok, so a bunch of us have our received our plugs. What's next?

Do we have a working app that reads all memory from the eeprom and puts it into a text file? This should be number one priority. After we have this we can make a database of rom files for each type and rev of ecu.

Next would be a working app that reads all memory from a file and writes it to the eeprom.

This way we will be able to safely backup our original rom files, and restore them when we screw up during testing/debugging of a map editing program.
Spiider

Postby bofh » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:57 am

It is a little more complex. We have to write a program to dump the memory, then write it to a spot we HOPE isn't being used by something important... However, you are correct in that it is the next step.
bofh

Postby crazymikie » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:29 pm

It's all simple until a bit gets written incorrectly. I thinkt he tricky part is making sure that communications between the ECU and the computer are extremely robust while writing data to the PROM. It's possible to render the ECU inoperable if you make a mistake.
crazymikie

Postby cboles » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:52 am

I hope to contribute a lot in this area - at the moment I'm still putting a rally car together for a rally this weekend, so it has been consuming virtually all of my time over the last few months. After this rally, I'll have a lot more time to devote to the OpenECU project.

Colby
cboles
Site Admin

Postby Spiider » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:31 pm

Awesome, I'd really like to help with the backup and restore app.

I've done some VC++ programming for communicating with cnc machine tools via rs232 so I may be able to help out with some of this.
Spiider

Return to General Discussion