Restructure the forum?

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Do it?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:11 pm

Just do it.
100%
Don't do it.
No votes
Do it, but with some changes...
No votes

Total votes : 3

Restructure the forum?

Postby natewaddoups » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:11 pm

This site has a great mission, and it got off to a good start, but it's become a place where newbies drop their how-to and tuning questions into random forums and get no answers, while potentially interesting discussions about reverse engineering and development get lost in the noise.

For example, people are posting their self-tuned ROMs and tech support questions in the "software download" forum and wondering why they get no response. The downloads forum and is full of tech support questions. The development forums are full of tuning questions, and so on.

So, I propose the following forums:

* General Discussion - Keep as-is
    * Legal - Keep as-is
    * Classifieds - Keep as-is.
    * Downloads - Just a single forum.
    * Tech Support - a place for questions about getting hardware and/or software to work.
    * Tuning - Move all threads from the "Users/*" and "Development/*" forums here.
    * Reverse Engineering - Keep this area and its sub-forums as-is.
    * Hardware and Software Development - Move all of the existing posts in the "Downloads/Technical Information" and "Downloads/Development Tools" forums here. Perhaps if the words "tuning" or "logging" do not appear in the forum name, people won't post their tunes or logs here. One can hope.

It's a much shorter list, but I think that increases the probability of a new user putting their question in the right place. That will make it easier for their questions to get noticed, which in turn should make for a more productive forum overall. It also just might produce development-oriented forum with a high-enough signal-to-noise ratio to stay active.

It might be optimistic to think that separate forums for "tech support" and "tuning" could actually work, but I haven't completely lost faith in my fellow human beings. :)

I realize that would take some work. I volunteer to spend a few evenings moving relevant threads from the existing forums to the appropriate new forums, so we can get off to a good start. That is, if the powers-that-be (Freon? CBoles?) will set up the new forum structure of course, and allow some time to sort through things before mass-moving the existing content into the new forums.
natewaddoups

Re: Restructure the forum?

Postby Jon [in CT] » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:45 am

Yeah, there needs to be a forum near the top titled something like: "Help! - Can't Get EcuFlash to Work."
Jon [in CT]

Postby natewaddoups » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:30 am

On second thought.... the "Reverse Engineering" forums have also turned into a swamp. Better to roll the relevant threads into the "Development" forum, and put the rest of their contents into Tuning or Tech Support. If there's going to be a "Reverse Engineering" forum, it should just be one forum, called "Reverse Engineering." The problem with the existing RE forums is that they are called Subaru and Mitsubishi, so they've got lots of threads like "Looking for stage I and II for south america STi 08" and "4g64 shortblock EVO 7 tune."
natewaddoups

Postby todd-w » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:19 pm

any chance of somewhere for mitsi def files and stock roms ,please.
todd-w

Return to General Discussion