Bricked ECU - SH Boot Mode help!

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Bricked ECU - SH Boot Mode help!

Postby spark » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:10 am

Hello!

I uploaded wrong ROM image into MY05 OBK 3.0R and it bricked the ECU. I found the schematics for the USB232 adapter here http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=SHBootMode, made it, but still have no luck uploading image into SH7058 using boot mode :( I checked all outs from USB232 adapter using oscilloscope – everything looks fine, but I’m getting ‘no bit rate adjust response’ in the EcuFlash all the time :( Maybe I’m trying to put +12V and GND to wrong pins on the ECU, I don’t know and that’s why asking you.

I tried to put +12V to B135:5 B135:6 B135:19 B137:14 and GND to B135:1 B135:4 B137:1 B137:2. I tried different ways, but still nothing...

P.S. I’m not trying to save $75 (to pay tactrix to repair the ECU), but I’m from Latvia and the shipping will cost about $200 and 2 weeks on a round or even more.
spark

Re: Bricked ECU - SH Boot Mode help!

Postby cboles » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:14 pm

Are you also correctly generating the watchdog signal from the 555 timer?
cboles
Site Admin

Postby spark » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:29 pm

cboles wrote:Are you also correctly generating the watchdog signal from the 555 timer?

i think yes. i'm using exactly these parts as described in link above, except 47k instead of 47.5k as R6 near the timer. is it important to use exactly 47.5k?
spark

Postby cboles » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:28 am

spark wrote:
cboles wrote:Are you also correctly generating the watchdog signal from the 555 timer?

i think yes. i'm using exactly these parts as described in link above, except 47k instead of 47.5k as R6 near the timer. is it important to use exactly 47.5k?

No - it's not that important. Just make sure your connections are correct, and that you have a ground connection between the circuit I drew and the ECU. Then you also need to make ground and battery / ignition connections to the ECU.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby spark » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:10 am

cboles wrote:
spark wrote:

No - it's not that important. Just make sure your connections are correct, and that you have a ground connection between the circuit I drew and the ECU. Then you also need to make ground and battery / ignition connections to the ECU.

1. in the picture, i attached, i draw a red circle, is it ground connection between circuit and the ECU you mentioned?
2. i'll put +12V to B135:19 (Back-up power supply), B137:15 (Ignition switch) and GND to B135:4 (GND power supply). is it correct?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
ECU pinout.pdf
(37.26 KiB) Downloaded 756 times
800px-Shbootmode.jpg
800px-Shbootmode.jpg (131.58 KiB) Viewed 16087 times
spark

Postby Merp » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:30 pm

Bump!

I'm having some issues with my SHbootmode setup.

To check the wds from the 555 timer, I was hooking up a headphone with a large resistor, and comparing it to a test tone. Just to be sure, I hooked it up to a scope, and it's coming in around 150hz, not 125hz, as a square wave between 0V and 2V (crossing the 1.5v TTL threshold), this is based on the scope's calibration port.

I found a 555 timer equation and plugged in the schematic, giving 145.8hz, so I'm pretty sure the wds is good enough.

I used the same setup to tap into the send and receive lines of the circuit, and I get an intermittent click whenever ECUflash is sending the boot command (constant TTL high with a low signal every second or so), but nothing on the response line, which matches the logs 'no bit rate adjust response'.

So, either i'm not powering on the ecu properly, or the wds is off too far. I'm leaning towards the former, specifically the order of doing things. I've tried powering the 5V then 12V, 12V then 5V, doing everything fast, and slow, to no avail.

Forgot to mention, I'm also running a ground wire between the ecu and usb circuit grounds. (engine ground pin to the pad grounded by the circuit).

I've tried using a battery @ 12.5V and an adapter at 12V, so I don't think low voltage is an issue getting the ecu powered up. I'm using every pin I can find listed for 12V or ground in the manual. (constant 12V, starter 12V, and 5 different ground pins, all triple checked)

Also, another issue that comes to mind is the pad numbers, I'm working on an A8DH200X (22611AL350) ECU, and using the pad numbers provided in the schematic.

Any suggestions on the startup sequence?

Thanks.
Merp

Postby spark » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:31 am

Merp wrote:So, either i'm not powering on the ecu properly, or the wds is off too far. I'm leaning towards the former, specifically the order of doing things. I've tried powering the 5V then 12V, 12V then 5V, doing everything fast, and slow, to no avail.

I've tried using a battery @ 12.5V and an adapter at 12V, so I don't think low voltage is an issue getting the ecu powered up. I'm using every pin I can find listed for 12V or ground in the manual. (constant 12V, starter 12V, and 5 different ground pins, all triple checked)

i still got no luck as well. 3 month are gone and no progress at all, the car is dieing in the yard :(
spark

Postby radsdau » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:40 pm

3 months?? It would be better value to send your ECU to someone who can repair it. It's not very expensive.
radsdau

Postby spark » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:04 pm

radsdau wrote:3 months?? It would be better value to send your ECU to someone who can repair it. It's not very expensive.

thinking about it, but it will be about $200 one way delivery from my country to US. maybe it's easier to ask someone to find used ECU and send it to me? anyone? will pay immidiately using paypal!
spark

Postby Merp » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:21 am

I'd check the ECU pinouts in the service manual and compare it to a USDM book first, you might have some issues there.

Your best bet would be a salvage yard, I know in the US alot of them have online listings, like car-part.com. A search on there turns up around 15 ECUs for my car.

For the ECU recovery, the only advice I can offer is to find someone with an oscilloscope and verify all the outputs of your adapter.
Merp

Postby spark » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:30 am

Merp wrote:I'd check the ECU pinouts in the service manual and compare it to a USDM book first, you might have some issues there.

Your best bet would be a salvage yard, I know in the US alot of them have online listings, like car-part.com. A search on there turns up around 15 ECUs for my car.

For the ECU recovery, the only advice I can offer is to find someone with an oscilloscope and verify all the outputs of your adapter.

I have a USDM car, so there is no issue with pinout. But i'm living far away from US and it's a problem for me to buy a ECU from US salvage yard. I tried, but all of them won't send ECU outside the US :( That's why i ask someone to help me!
spark

Postby Merp » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:22 am

Is it an auto or manual transmission? Do you have the code / part number from the outside of the ecu case?

Car-part listed a couple for 3.0 outbacks, but they may have multiple hardware revisions for the MY05, hence the code / part number.
Merp

Postby spark » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:28 am

Merp wrote:Is it an auto or manual transmission? Do you have the code / part number from the outside of the ecu case?

Car-part listed a couple for 3.0 outbacks, but they may have multiple hardware revisions for the MY05, hence the code / part number.

it's MY05 OUTBACK 3.0 LL BEAN, AUTO TRANS, ECU part # 22611AH63C.
spark

Postby Merp » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:55 pm

I also forgot, the 05+ cars use immobiliser keys. I looked around and it looks like the key ID is registered in the ECU and Cluster. So, unless you have a subaru dealer or shop with a SSM w/ key program around you, you would need all three; cluster, ECU, and key from another car, which will be a tough find.

Regarding the ECU recovery, you'll be able to find someone with an oscilloscope in the physics or electrical engineering dept. of a university. Also, if you know any amateur radio operators, chances are they know someone who has one, and they're not all that hard to operate either.
Merp

Postby spark » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:26 pm

Merp wrote:I also forgot, the 05+ cars use immobiliser keys. I looked around and it looks like the key ID is registered in the ECU and Cluster. So, unless you have a subaru dealer or shop with a SSM w/ key program around you, you would need all three; cluster, ECU, and key from another car, which will be a tough find.

immo is not the problem at all. i can transfer immo code from one ECU to another.
spark

Next

Return to General Discussion