can ecuflash copy cobb maps?

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

can ecuflash copy cobb maps?

Postby the_colombian1 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:22 pm

Hello,
my friend and I are both newbs to ecu tuning, and we were wondering if we can use ecuflash to copy an image of a cobb stage 2 map for his usdm 2005 STi. Or maybe an image from a conservative tuned stage 2 ecutek map.
We were reading through the site and we see that you can only do logs as of right now, but we dont see anything about "sharing" maps.

thanks for your help.
the_colombian1

Postby ahains » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:17 am

You can flash any data that is in one ECU to another ECU.
There is no exception to the above statement, regardless of what the contents of the data are or how the data got in the ECU in the first place.

Whether you *should* is another thing entirely. If you want to appropriately use whatever license is provided with Cobb or Ecutek technologies, I would call whichever company and ask them if flashing the maps onto another car would be allowed per their license.

If you look around this site you will find several other threads discussing the legality of doing such a thing, but I would not take any of those comments as absolute fact. You would want to talk to a lawyer to get a professional opinion on what is legal.

Personally I think you're better off just making your own map. It has been shown time and time again that if you custom tune for your car you WILL make more power than an off the shelf tune or a custom tune from another car.
ahains

Re: can ecuflash copy cobb maps?

Postby Jeramie » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:37 am

the_colombian1 wrote: If we can use ecuflash to copy an image of a cobb stage 2 map for his usdm 2005 STi. Or maybe an image from a conservative tuned stage 2 ecutek map.

Thats STEALING :twisted: BAD!

Use the tools to create your own custom tune! You'll be much happier in the end!
Jeramie

Postby the_colombian1 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:36 am

well, we wanted the map to use as a base map to work off with the help of someone else that has done a bit of tuning already.

So the new software can actually be use to tune the american STi? We searched everywhere and it said that it can only be used for the WRX. Only logging with the STi.

We will hook it up tonight and play with it for a while. Thanks for the heads up.
the_colombian1

Postby Jeramie » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:53 am

I dunno about the STI, sorry. I wasn't lucky enough to get one yet . . . . hopefully someone who knows more than me will chime in.
Jeramie

Postby Jeramie » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:55 am

Now that I think about it a bit more, enginuity might not work, but ecu edit should. All you have to do is create the definition file (xml) and you should be able to edit. Maybe start a thread about it?
Jeramie

Postby ahains » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:58 am

Oops, I think you're right that the MY04-MY05 US STi cannot yet be dumped/flashed. At the tactrix cable product info page (http://www.tactrix.com/product_info.php ... 18ebb61d32), this is listed as "(in progress)".
ahains

Postby Jeramie » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:02 am

http://forums.openecu.org/viewforum.php?f=12

I dunno he has dumps of the ecu in the above link. I think it can be dumped/flashed just not edited with enginuity (no xml definitions yet). Of course I could be wrong. :?:

edit: looks like I'm wrong

http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?t=187
Jeramie

Postby cboles » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:21 am

I am able to dump / flash the newer DBW cars, including the STi. The software is not ready for public consumption yet, that's all. It will definitely be less than a month though. I have posted up some ROMs so people can get started on the map definitions.

Colby
cboles
Site Admin

Postby the_colombian1 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:28 am

thats awesome news Colby.
I recieved the cable very quickly. thank you.
I guess we will start playing with my ecu first, and when the sti software comes out we will start with his.

thanks for the info guys.
the_colombian1

Return to General Discussion