Evo ECU Conversion

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Postby gobbles » Wed May 28, 2008 6:37 pm

Hello everyone-

Since ECUFlash won't flash the Evo 6 ECU, I'm working on an Evo 8 ECU swap into my Evo 6 TME.

I looked at the spreadsheet posted above, but noticed it did not have the Evo 8 ECU pinout data in it, so I added it to do a side by side pinout comparison. My issue is this, the directions given at the bottom of the spreadsheet don't match up with the Evo 8 diagram. Take a look and see. I show pin 34 as empty, not a fan control.

Also, I'm concerned my AYC/ACD won't work with the Evo 8 ECU (1860A118) but have found an EDM Evo 8 260 ECU pinout that calls for AYC/ACD on pin 87 (empty on the USDM pinout). Do I need to get an EDM rom to keep that functionality, or does the USDM 8 ECU actually support it but not list it since the vehicle didn't have the corresponding hardware?

Any guidance greatly appreciated. I already have the harness extender and want to make sure I have the pin swaps correct before I start making changes.
Attachments
evo pinouts ecu with Evo8.xls
(238.5 KiB) Downloaded 506 times
gobbles

Postby cossie1 » Thu May 29, 2008 1:59 am

why not use an evo7 ecu ?
cossie1

Postby gobbles » Thu May 29, 2008 10:07 am

cossie1 wrote:why not use an evo7 ecu ?

Because I already bought an 8 ecu. :D

Can it be done with the 8 ECU I noted above or do I need to find a 7 ECU?
gobbles

Postby cossie1 » Thu May 29, 2008 10:09 am

I've never fitted an 8 ecu into a 5 or 6 so no idea.

I do know that a 7 ecu does work though.
cossie1

Postby gobbles » Thu May 29, 2008 10:27 am

According to BarryC's original post in this thread, it should work, which is why I bought the 8 ECU. I'm posting now because I found a discrepancy in the instructions, and would like some clarification.

Thanks.
gobbles

Postby todd-w » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:33 pm

dont think evo8 usdm has ayc/acd
todd-w

Postby gobbles » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:13 pm

todd-w wrote:dont think evo8 usdm has ayc/acd

Right, the USDM 8s do not. But since the EDM 8s apparently do, I was wondering if an EDM rom file would work in a USDM ECU and keep the AYC/ACD support.
gobbles

Postby todd-w » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:45 pm

its more than likely in there but not wired ,,, if you want a 8 edm rom pm me your e mail and il send you on one.
todd-w

Postby gobbles » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:13 pm

todd-w wrote:its more than likely in there but not wired ,,, if you want a 8 edm rom pm me your e mail and il send you on one.

PM sent. Thanks!
gobbles

Postby todd-w » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:24 pm

gobbles wrote:
todd-w wrote:its more than likely in there but not wired ,,, if you want a 8 edm rom pm me your e mail and il send you on one.

PM sent. Thanks!

returned 8)
todd-w

Postby gobbles » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:03 pm

OK, one more question. I'll need to load an Evo 7 ROM onto the Evo 8 ECU I have.

My question is this: Do I still wire the harness according to the Evo 8 ecu pinout? Or does the Evo 7 ROM mean I need to wire the harness according to the Evo 7 pinout?

If you notice, there is a difference on which pins control fan hi/lo between the two.

Thanks.
gobbles

Postby BarryC. » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:44 am

gobbles wrote:OK, one more question. I'll need to load an Evo 7 ROM onto the Evo 8 ECU I have.

My question is this: Do I still wire the harness according to the Evo 8 ecu pinout? Or does the Evo 7 ROM mean I need to wire the harness according to the Evo 7 pinout?

If you notice, there is a difference on which pins control fan hi/lo between the two.

Thanks.

well id say if ya are going to use a 7 rom in an 8 ecu wire it as the evo 7 is,
give it a try but it would make sense to wire it this way,
it wont do any harm if its wrong the car wont start,
will be interesting to see what happens.
please post the results up here :wink:
BarryC.

Postby gobbles » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:58 pm

BarryC. wrote:
gobbles wrote:OK, one more question. I'll need to load an Evo 7 ROM onto the Evo 8 ECU I have.

Thanks.

Ok, I'll try to get to it this weekend and let you guys know. Any recommendations on which Evo7 ROM file I should use as a starting point?
gobbles

Postby BarryC. » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:00 pm

gobbles wrote:
BarryC. wrote:

Thanks.

Ok, I'll try to get to it this weekend and let you guys know. Any recommendations on which Evo7 ROM file I should use as a starting point?

use 90550001 if it starts let us know we can help ya with fault codes
BarryC.

Postby gobbles » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:35 am

BarryC. wrote:
gobbles wrote:
BarryC. wrote:

Thanks.

use 90550001 if it starts let us know we can help ya with fault codes

Where can I find this specific ROM? I searched the forums here and didn't find it.
gobbles

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion