Still trying to figure out..

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Still trying to figure out..

Postby onesixnin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:20 pm

I just discovered this great forum. My ultimate goal would be to get a map loaded that is similar to xx brand or yy brands stage 2 map, without just stealing a copy of their map. Once I buy the cable from tactrix where would I find such a map. I've been going through post after post and I see dumps of original roms and a lot of high end programmer talk... I need something more basic. Pleeeze. I'm trying to get more into programming (proud to say just installed my first linux dist. along with python) but until then I would love to be able to get the same results for $79 that most people are paying 595-1100$ for. I think it would be very helpful for those of you who actually know what you are doing.(unlike me)....to start putting together "unibomber manifestos" for this project. Hopefully I can learn enough to contribute to this project...I still need to brush up from my pascal and vb days....

Onesixnin
onesixnin

Postby qoncept » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:44 am

The problem is, we just aren't to that point yet. There are only a couple of applications written for tuning, and they are both very early versions still. While Colby is working mostly on the dumping/reflashing side, he's putting most of his effort in to supporting more and more ECU versions (at least thats the impression I've gotten). Me and a couple others are working on tuning software, but like I said, they are still in very early versions, and certainly no one has gotten to making a blanket "stage 2 map" yet.

I know it's hard to wait, but that's just what we're going to have to do for now. I'm working hard on Enginuity again, which should end up being more powerful than StreetTuner, but it'll be a while.
qoncept

Postby onesixnin » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:11 am

"The problem is, we just aren't to that point yet. "

That explains why I'm not seeing all these crazy maps everywhere. I know it takes a while. People have more to their lives than just their car. Sometimes it may seem that it takes us over.... Fortunately for me the wait, is something I have to do whether I like it or not because I can't afford the prices of the brand name tuners. Thanks for your contributions and I am looking forward to getting tuned the right way. FREE (minus the 70$ cable :) )

Onesixnin
onesixnin

Postby qoncept » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:29 am

I'm in the same boat.. I could swing the $1000 for street tuner, but I don't think it's worth it. I was originally just going to write software for myself, but 1) it proved too difficult and 2) I found openecu. If I'd spent all the time I've worked on Enginuity at a part time job at Burger Kind I'd probably have made enough to buy StreetTuner, but thats no fun. :)

We're not far off, but you'll need to custom tune your car. I'm not sure if anyone is going to be comfortable enough providing pre-tuned roms to other people, but there will at least be some references available.
qoncept

Postby silverpike » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:59 pm

qoncept wrote:The problem is, we just aren't to that point yet. There are only a couple of applications written for tuning, and they are both very early versions still. While Colby is working mostly on the dumping/reflashing side, he's putting most of his effort in to supporting more and more ECU versions (at least thats the impression I've gotten). Me and a couple others are working on tuning software, but like I said, they are still in very early versions, and certainly no one has gotten to making a blanket "stage 2 map" yet.

I know it's hard to wait, but that's just what we're going to have to do for now. I'm working hard on Enginuity again, which should end up being more powerful than StreetTuner, but it'll be a while.

However, I would add that we are close, especially thanks to you. The editor software looks very good, and I think we don't have many bugs left before tuning becomes straightforward.

There are only a few things really holding us back at this point:
1) Integrated WB O2 datalogging (colby is on it)
2) Realtime map editing (colby will address soon I think)
3) Standardization of ROM images

Other than that, we are real close. I am very impressed with the progress of ECUedit, and I think it has most everything we need to modify already.
silverpike

Postby onesixnin » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:57 pm

Well hurry up dammit. I need a tune.

It's not like coming up with stuff like this from scratch is hard or anything... :roll:

:D j/k I'm glad someone is working on making tuning affordable.
onesixnin

Postby qoncept » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:58 am

Heh, give me a couple weeks and I'll have something useable.. :) ecuEdit may already work for your ECU version.
qoncept

Return to General Discussion