Prodrive PPP Modification - Help!!!

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Prodrive PPP Modification - Help!!!

Postby JimbobUK » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:39 pm

I've been following progress here for a while... I'm hugely impressed at the progress so far!!! Now it's time for me to have a dabble!!!

I have an 01 WRX (UK). I had always assumed that the PPP ECU for newage cars would just be a pure re-mapped version.

I have just read a post mentioning a GEMS daughterboard that forms part of the PPP kit for an 01 WRX!

Does anyone know the story about how the PPP upgrade actually works for a newage impreza? Are they all pure remaps using the existing ECU hardware, or are they all 'bodges' using tacked-on piggybacks?

I was hoping that perhaps the PPP map could be read from a PPP car and written to a normal WRX (combined with exhaust mods). If the PPP is not a pure remap then I guess not!

Can somebody advise, please?

Many thanks
JimbobUK

Postby Spiider » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:16 pm

PPP latest version is just ecutek with a different name.

They also have their own differentiated PPP maps, that ecutek tuners don't have access to.

I am absolutely 100% sure of that.

The gems daughterboard must be for another purpose, maybe it adds additional inputs and outputs for capabilities that the stock ecu doesn't have. (?)

The new gems stuff is a full standalone, with their own method of programming. The software is actually really nice, but less sophisticated than a hydra IMO. You can try it out from their website if you are so inclined.

If you dump your map, I would really like to get my hands on it for more research and rip it apart to see what interesting things they are doing compared to everyone else.
Spiider

Postby JimbobUK » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:34 pm

Thanks Spiider! That's great news!

Although I'm surprised that no-one else on here has suggested the idea of doing something similar to an "open" PPP.

Subaru charge £1600 here for a PPP conversion, which seems a total rip-off, seeing as you only get a new back-box, an intercooler pipe, and a more agressive set of (non-customised) maps.

The PPP maps are just an alternative set of standard maps (not customised for the individual car).

If we could produce a set of standard "open" maps in a similar way, then the less hardcore folks (just aiming for moderate power increases) would have a cheap alternative to a PPP, where we could fit the appropriate exhaust, and load the alternative maps.

I have a Tactrix cable on the way, and know someone with an 02 WRX PPP (UK)... I hope to read its maps, and diff them with the standard WRX maps, and see where the major differences are.

Thanks,
Jimbob
JimbobUK

Postby JimbobUK » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:19 pm

Hmmm... I've been doing some more digging... Quite a few sources refer to the newage PPP conversions being merely a piggyback board which pushes the boost target up (below 5krpm).

They go on to state that Prodrive have more recently adopted EcuTek tools to develop newer PPP solutions. I still don't know when this transition occured, and whether they also discontinued the use of the piggyback solution for the early newage cars.

Eg, if an 01WRX (UK) was taken in for a PPP today, would the muppets just fit the old boost clamp piggyback, or would it be properly remapped using the EcuTek software?
JimbobUK

Postby Mo » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:03 pm

Jimbob, I recall the earlier bugeye PPPs having boost clamps but I'm sure this was rectified with the later models, I'm not positive of the dates of transistion but it wouldn't be too hard to find out, lets us know your findings.
Mo

Postby Spiider » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:08 pm

I thought they transitioned away from the piggyback before the "New Age" cars.

By '01 bars we are talking about first year of the GDA correct? Not the last year of the GC?
Spiider

Postby Jon [in CT] » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:37 am

EcuTeK only began selling its reflash tool for the New Age WRX in late 2002, so I expect any PPPs for the 2001-2 WRX would utilize the piggyback approach and not an ECM reflash.
Jon [in CT]

Postby JimbobUK » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:21 pm

I guess I'll just have to wait until my cable arrives, and I get the chance to plug into my mates PPP ;)

I'll post my findings

Thanks all...
JimbobUK

Postby SubieGuy » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:02 am

Could I ask if you had any chance to look at the map?
SubieGuy

Postby korhan » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:42 pm

yeah i am also intrested in the result :wink:

did you satisfied in the ppp process?
korhan

Postby korhan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:00 am

still waiting for the result :cry:
korhan

What happened?

Postby rewindnottm » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:22 pm

has trial gone cold.
rewindnottm

Postby korhan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:02 pm

we all reflashed
01 02 03 04 05 edm ppp. we both take the map or reflash the map.

but in dbw 06 07 model procedure is diffrent. supplier of the ppp ecutec changed the protocol due to that you can not connect to ecu. it is locked and closed sharing. also if you want to delete map you cant. maybe it can make by shboot mode.
korhan

Postby pezzar » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:37 am

JimbobUK wrote:Subaru charge £1600 here for a PPP conversion, which seems a total rip-off, seeing as you only get a new back-box, an intercooler pipe, and a more agressive set of (non-customised) maps.

The PPP maps are just an alternative set of standard maps (not customised for the individual car).

the whole industry is a rip off if you ask me. Extortionate so called licence fees for what is essenitally ripped off maps (except Prodrive, they are the official Subaru works team). My 2p worth
pezzar

Return to General Discussion