Reverese Engineering the 2007 Yamaha YZF-R1 ECU

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Postby Wayne_Coots » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:49 am

Any updates on this? I may be recieving some software soon that is suposed to be able to read and edit bikes as well. I will let you know more when I recieve it.

Wayne
Wayne_Coots

32 bit Denso ECU

Postby RidgeRacer » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:23 pm

There has been some progress in hacking 32 bit Denso ECUs just recently.

To date I know of guys who have downloaded the code and maps from a

'06 Suzuki Hayabusa
'07 SV-1000
'?? Z-1000
'04 ZX-6

These ECUs all use the Hitachi /Renesas SH7052 CPU. What we've found is that the bikes are 'Boot Mode' programmable thru the wire harness connector using a simple RS232 to TTL converter and a freeware software tool from Renesas. Problem is in boot mode the CPU first erases the entire chip (256k) and you can only WRITE the flash from the main harness, not READ it. Works great for the factory as they have the source code/image to burn.

However there is a back door. When you open up the ECU and de-pot the board you will find an unstuffed AUD port, kind of a proprietary JTAG, that allows you to read out all the CPU contents. Once a copy of the CPU code is available for an ECU model it is only necessary to mod the maps and reflash the ECU through the front harness. Subsequent ECUs do not have to be opened.

The guy with the Busa successfully flashed a copy of the US version ECU into an ECU off a Euro bike and it worked. He has also changed the rev limit on the ECU. As I said this is all recent, in the last month or so and we are still working on defining all the maps using Enginuity.

Also however the guy who is doing the ZX-6 has one of the Yamaha throttle by wire ECUs and has opened it up and de-potted it. He says it has Two SH7052s in it, and better yet, two AUD ports. One for each CPU.

For more info checkout our site http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=99460&subForumID=401478&p=2

So far I have not run across a 16 or 32 bit Denso motorcycle ECU we couldn't get into.
RidgeRacer

Re: 32 bit Denso ECU

Postby adamsys » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:11 pm

RidgeRacer wrote:There has been some progress in hacking 32 bit Denso ECUs just recently... ...guy who is doing the ZX-6 has one of the Yamaha throttle by wire ECUs and has opened it up and de-potted it. He says it has Two SH7052s in it, and better yet, two AUD ports. One for each CPU.

Yeah, that is consistent with the little blurb the Yamaha R1 service manual has regarding the ECU. Very interesting!

RidgeRacer wrote:So far I have not run across a 16 or 32 bit Denso motorcycle ECU we couldn't get into.

You guys have been busy. I had visited your forum earlier in the year. I learned about your successes with the Kawasaki stuff but you guys have come a long way since then. Good work!

Now, I'm going to spend the night reviewing all the posts!
adamsys

Re: Reverese Engineering the 2007 Yamaha YZF-R1 ECU

Postby Snakers » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:54 am

Any new information on this as of 2010? Im looking to flash my 2007 R1 ECU
Snakers

Postby RidgeRacer » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:00 am

These guys will flash it for you...

http://www.jetttuning.com/ecunleashed_

but as far as flashing it yourself there is still nothing in the public domain as far as I know.
RidgeRacer

Postby Snakers » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:07 am

Yea, I know a few places that will do the flashing, but I cant bring myself to pay $500 or more for something that takes 5 minutes and that i COULD do myself given the proper hardware and software. Rippoff. I would pay maybe half that, but $500 is out of line.
Snakers

Postby christian_piasini » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:06 am

Snakers wrote:Yea, I know a few places that will do the flashing, but I cant bring myself to pay $500 or more for something that takes 5 minutes and that i COULD do myself given the proper hardware and software. Rippoff. I would pay maybe half that, but $500 is out of line.

We may have the solution you are looking for.

Piasiniengineering Serial suite trough our partners worldwide can reflash your ecu in your country.

or

we have specials solution for who want tune his bike him self

just need to send us an e-mail with your details and tell me which solution you want for your needs.

Best regards

Christian Piasini

R&D Piasiniengineering
Attachments
List of Bike Serial suite Piasini .txt
(6.26 KiB) Downloaded 1240 times
christian_piasini

Postby briconner » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:43 pm

adamsys wrote:
vic78 wrote:Hello,
I am sorry of my bad English, i speak better French
- which are your conclusions with today?
- You succeeded in reading information?
I am me also interested by an interface ECU <=> PC

Thank you in advance
Victor

No conclusions yet. I have figured out how to add pins to the connector. This required buying another wiring harness and stealing the pins out of it. Found an '06 R1 on eBay and got that this week. It has a single ECU connector with a high pin count but its an AMP SuperSeal so the pins work!

So, did you purchased new wiring for it? what are the updates... I am really interested.

I have lots of extra pins now so if anybody need a couple, just let me know.
briconner

Previous

Return to General Discussion