Anyone posting their modified maps?

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Anyone posting their modified maps?

Postby crispyduck » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:09 am

All,

Looks like many of you are posting your stock images to the forum then going off and modifying them - such is the goal of this great OpenECU project. Do you all intend on posting your modified maps also for others to learn from? Is say this because I can't find any examples of anyone doing this so far.

To do the job properly I assume we would all need the following:
* link to stock map
* link to modified map
* ecuExplorer log of a WOT 3rd, 4th, 5th run of the stock and modified images
* agree a core set of parameters to be logged for above

Anyone interested in doing this and/or better defining what we would all need to achieve this?

-Steve.
crispyduck

Re: Anyone posting their modified maps?

Postby Kha0S » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:49 am

crispyduck wrote:* link to stock map
* link to modified map
* ecuExplorer log of a WOT 3rd, 4th, 5th run of the stock and modified images
* agree a core set of parameters to be logged for above

I'd be happy to share my changes once I get my map dialed in a bit better... one major thing to remember is that a lot of us are "street tuning," so WOT 4 and 5 gear runs are hard to come by... my license is marred enough as it is. :D

What I'd like to see, personally, is a sort of map modification descriptor, ala "patch" or something similar, that would allow us diff two maps, even if they're not from the same original image. That is, use the known locations of certain maps in different ROMs and try and generate intelligent diffs that can then be applied to any other ECU image from the same model cycle.

With some vehicles, also, a log for the stock map may be impractical/dangerous. Even at the "stage 2" level (typically a turboback exhaust), the stock map sometimes permits the car to run dangerously lean... but for some, it may not be.

Once we have a standardized database of ECU ROMs for all the different CALIDs, simply posting the CALID will probably be sufficient.

In addition to the fields you described, I think that some useful ones would be:

* relevant vehicle engine/driveline mods (anything that makes your tune specific to your car)
* a human-readable overview of the changes made

Unfortunately, ecuExplorer logs, as it stands, are not going to be adequate for serious sharing of tune details. There's currently no support for external wideband O2 or EGT sensors, and there's a bug that seems to cause occasional 1+ second dropouts in the data stream... I don't know of anything that's quite as versatile as ecuExplorer right now. I think that agreeing on parameters and a format (.csv) is a smart idea.

Important parameters for the datalog, if available:

RPM, MAF, MAP, Throttle Position, Ignition Timing, Knock Correction, AFR (wideband), EGT (real EGT), Load

Good ideas here, though... let's come up with some standards and get these maps flowing!

/Andrew
Kha0S

Postby cboles » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:34 am

I hope to allow the ability to diff maps from different ROMs in the version of EcuFlash I am working on. You will also be able to copy maps from different ROMs easily.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby Freon » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:37 am

I also think this will be a very valuable feature.

Things get hairy if the two maps have different scaling, though. It'll be harder to produce a good diff map.
Freon

Postby gethin » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:17 pm

as soon as OpenPort 1.2 is supported to write back to the ECU I can test my map! ;)
gethin

Postby cboles » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:44 pm

gethin wrote:as soon as OpenPort 1.2 is supported to write back to the ECU I can test my map! ;)

I'm confused. The Openport 1.2 has been supported by EcuFlash since the day I started selling them. You can reflash your ECU already... or am I missing something?
cboles
Site Admin

Postby calvinc » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:41 pm

Unfortunately, ecuExplorer logs, as it stands, are not going to be adequate for serious sharing of tune details. There's currently no support for external wideband O2 or EGT sensors, and there's a bug that seems to cause occasional 1+ second dropouts in the data stream... I don't know of anything that's quite as versatile as ecuExplorer right now. I think that agreeing on parameters and a format (.csv) is a smart idea.
wideband is coming. started off with direct integration into ecuExplorer but i'm now changing the design so that ecuExplorer support external sensor dll's (written by other users). i will write the innovate lm-1 support into a dll so that people know how to do it. might take a bit longer but its a better idea for supporting what others want.

with regards to the data drop during live capture...i've asked for a portmon log to further see what is happening during that time but i've received nothing.

calvin.
calvinc

Postby Mo » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:31 am

Calvin,

will the LM-1 support include support for the the LC-1? IIRC there was another release of E*****s DD to support this.
Mo

Postby calvinc » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:08 am

there are 2 protocols for the innovate stuff. i have protocol 1 (which is the older 1) and will be integrating that. the LC-1 may support this but i'm not 100% sure. innovate seem hesitant to release the 2nd protocol.

the wideband stuff will be dll based so it will be simple to code and release another dll file if required.

i'll check with innovate again just to be sure though.

calvin.
calvinc

Postby epifan » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:54 am

calvinc wrote:but i'm now changing the design so that ecuExplorer support external sensor dll's (written by other users)

OMG, Calvin, you are change your mind and start to use in ecuExplorer external DLL's ??? :lol:
epifan

Postby calvinc » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:11 am

OMG, Calvin, you are change your mind and start to use in ecuExplorer external DLL's ??? :lol:
8) for external sensors yes. i'll be writing the dll for the innovate lm-1 and releasing the source as an example to other users. i appeal to any other contributors of these dlls to make their source available too. there has been many requests to support other wideband products and i personally dont want to have to write them all. dll's is a nice way to extend the functionality of the app.

calvin.
calvinc

Postby epifan » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:26 am

calvinc wrote:dll's is a nice way to extend the functionality of the app

aha, aha! :wink: : I'm happy that now you consider it :lol:
epifan

Postby gethin » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:25 pm

Sorry Colby, my apologies, it's ecuExplorer that does not work with 1.2.

I'm getting confused with all the apps available!

I'll try doing a test write tomorrow using your ecuflash utility.

Cheers.

Gethin.

cboles wrote:
gethin wrote:as soon as OpenPort 1.2 is supported to write back to the ECU I can test my map! ;)

I'm confused. The Openport 1.2 has been supported by EcuFlash since the day I started selling them. You can reflash your ECU already... or am I missing something?
gethin

Postby silverpike » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:16 am

calvinc wrote:
8) for external sensors yes. i'll be writing the dll for the innovate lm-1 and releasing the source as an example to other users. i appeal to any other contributors of these dlls to make their source available too. there has been many requests to support other wideband products and i personally dont want to have to write them all. dll's is a nice way to extend the functionality of the app.

calvin.

Can you give me a general sense of how this is going to work? Will the widebands be connected through one of the ECU inputs, or will the widebands need to be connected to the laptop in parallel with ecuExplorer?

I am an experienced C coder, and I might work on the Techedge DLL if I am sufficiently enrolled in it's feasibility. 8)
silverpike

Postby calvinc » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:35 am

it will be input from an external sensor (anything really) via a serial port.

thinking of doing it like this:
- external inputs defined in registry (configurable through ecuExplorer)
- dll initialized on startup (sensorInitialize)
- dll loaded on startup (function call to sensorStart)
- dll closed on shutdown (function call to sensorStop)
- dll polled when in realtime data view (function call to sensorGetData)

maybe have initialization return poll time, etc. still thinking about it. any recommendations?

calvin.
calvinc

Next

Return to General Discussion