Need to vent a bit

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Need to vent a bit

Postby qoncept » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:32 pm

Some of you have surely noticed the problems with enginuity.org. I finally gave up on phpnuke and started using phpbb for everything and had quite a bit posted. At some point before I left for vacation, I backed up the database. Then my webhost decided to switch to a new server.

I've since been able to contact them, period. The host goes down for days at a time, the last few useful days were lost from the database, and I decided to just forget all the problems and find a new host. I'm now using netfirms, which I'm almost positive will be a huge step forward.

So I upload all my files, log in to phpmyadmin and try to restore my database from the backup. Apparantly the file attachment mod table didn't backup properly (that part of the file had html instead of SQL, for whatever reason). So I removed that part from the file and went to the old host to restore the database with that file, so I could update it and then dump it again with the attachment table properly. Turns out I somehow managed to dump just the database STRUCTURE and not the data, so now I've lost the entire database.

Now, it's not that big of a deal. I lost maybe 25 posts. But I really would have liked to not have to do all that work again. I'm pretty furious with my old webhost that I ever had to go through any of this, and this is about the worst time for it to come up. GRR!!
qoncept

Postby cboles » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:28 pm

I feel your pain! I'm doing my best to keep openecu.org well backed up just in case!
cboles
Site Admin

Postby GotWRX03 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:01 am

that sucks... :(
GotWRX03

Return to General Discussion