Welcome!

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Welcome!

Postby cboles » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:29 pm

Welcome to the openecu.org forums! These forums were created for the purpose of sharing information to develop open source ECU reflashing, datalogging, and tuning tools for Subarus and other cars. Our goal is to create an inexpensive way for people tune their car's ECU without using proprietary tools and technologies. By putting tools in more people's hands and sharing what we all learn, I hope that we can advance the state of the art of ECU tuning.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby bofh » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:03 pm

Wow. I guess we are movin now! :D Let's hope everyone comes over.
bofh

ready!

Postby Chamo » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:16 pm

I'm ready to learn!!
Chamo

Postby Assami » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:46 am

thanks for this,

I'm ready to learn too :D
Assami

Hello

Postby Black Phoenix » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:18 am

Well, my name is Márcio Teixeira, from Portugal, most western country in Europe. Here in Portugal i'm a Service Enginner for some well know CNC machines - Mazak ones. Basically I always liked electronics, and my hobbie is computer tunning, called Overclock. I'm also a car maniac, love a lot see some races on the television. Since I don't like mechanics, I had changed my mind for the "thing" that controls the car electronics: ECU. So I'm a newbie, one more to join to some others in this forum.
My goal? Try to learn as much I can. Since now I already have the software developed by this open source community, I will borrow the cables in a near future. But until then I will try to understand how the reprogramming of the ECU alters the car performance. So to all this community, help me in what all of you can... :mrgreen:
Black Phoenix

Re: Hello

Postby Jon [in CT] » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:45 pm

Black Phoenix wrote:Well, my name is Márcio Teixeira, from Portugal, most western country in Europe.
Welcome. The people living in Iceland like to say that their country is the most western country in Europe. But I don't think there are any people from Iceland reading this, so I don't think many people here will complain. :)
Jon [in CT]

Postby magicien » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:07 am

Black Phoenix forgot to specify that Portugal is the most western country in continental Europe, Iceland is an island. But who cares about that ?!
magicien

Re: Hello

Postby gteclass » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:02 am

Black Phoenix wrote:, and my hobbie is computer tunning, called Overclock. :mrgreen:

I wonder if we can make the ecu "underclock" itself. Due to the huge delay in the primary o2 sensors that long tube headers tend to create, the ecu tends to overcompensate, especially at idle. If there is a way to slow down the factory closed loop cycle, at least for idle and low rpm operation, it would probably help.
gteclass

Postby esdrufao » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:39 am

hi people my name is miguel angel(mike for my friends and you),i`m spanish and i a entusiast for cars and i`m electronic tecnician,your forun is marvellous.

thanks to creators for this forum.

P.D sorry for my english it`s very ugly :D
esdrufao

Postby Alex Maroto » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:19 pm

My name is Alex Maroto, I live in Costa Rica, Central America, we have a Owners Club and webpage www.imprezacr.com and we like to learn to tune our cars, I own a Forester Turbo S and a Impreza GT, both MY99 Turbo cars, I know they have JECS computers and Software and hardware works fine to read and datalog them but I still have to use piggyback devices to modify the electronic control...

I bought the 1.3M divice on internet (ebay) to have the new tool and have the opportunity to modify Subie and Mitsu´s ECU, and there are some potential people interested with their 2001- WRX`s, foresters, LEgacy´s GT, etc...

It´s wonderfull this development, the local dealer is not able to do this yet...

I´m a chemical engineer, but cars seems to me the better machine to test my knowledge...

Nice page, nice software, nice ride!!
Alex Maroto

Re: Welcome!

Postby bluebeard » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:55 pm

Hello!
What's the difference between ECU and OBDII?
I have manged to read from OBDII using my own AVL and ElmScan but not sure how to get ECU.

Thanks in Advance

Chua Eng Leong
bluebeard

Postby radsdau » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:48 pm

bluebeard wrote:What's the difference between ECU and OBDII?

I'm not sure I understand your question completely, but I think what you're asking is the difference between the OBDII diagnostics protocol, and the protocol used for reading and reflashing ECUs.

To clarify:
    OBDII = On-Board Diagnostics, version II
    ECU = Engine Control Unit (engine computer)

OBDII is used for diagnosing problems and monitoring operating conditions of a vehicle. The various forms of this protocol are well documented and standardised.

The communications protocols for reading and reflashing ECUs varies greatly between manufacturers. Some manufacturers loosely adhere to standards describing these functions, and some have their own proprietary schemes, which are not publicly documented (OpenECU changed that for Subaru and Mitsubishi).

I hope this answers your question.
radsdau
radsdau

Postby AFCB » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:20 am

this forum is a great idea....we apreciatte this iniciative...

im here to learn because im a noob...but...im here to help to...

regards fopr the forum..and thanks a lot

I'm from PORTUGAL, sorry for my english :|
AFCB

Postby swr999 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:05 pm

Hello all!

I'm a noob re: the ECUflash software. I do embedded processor software at work, so I'm generally familar with the concepts of reading and writing the ECU flash memory. But I'm looking for some kind of tutorial or instructions on how to use the ECUflash program. Can anyone please point me to a resource which explains how to use the ECUflash software? Thanks!
swr999

Postby MattS00 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:46 pm

http://forums.evolutionm.net/ecuflash/4 ... arted.html

There is also a link in that post that covers more.
MattS00

Next

Return to General Discussion