newb needs help

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

newb needs help

Postby aren040 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:15 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been reading and rearching the posts here to see if I can find an answer to my question. I came across some good posts but nothing that has been able to answer my question. Well I thought I would ask to see if anyone can help me. I was wondering if anyone had a way to pull the OEM Subaru image off of my 05 WRX. Also how do I find out what ECU version or model I am running?

In case you cant tel I am completly lost in this world of ECUs and need some guidance.

Now I will not BS you I want to do this to be able to reflash the origional image of the ECU back on to the car incase I screw up somewhere.

Thanks in advance for all of your help guys.

aren040
aren040

Postby cboles » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:48 pm

The EcuFlash.exe program in the OpenECU Software section of the site will do what you want, although you need to have interface hardware to do it, which can be had at tactrix.com. To do a reflash, you will also need to jumper a couple points on a connector under the dash. All pretty easy stuff though.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby aren040 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:02 pm

I was just going to use the Cobb AP as the hardware median to do the job. Would that work or would it be better to get another form of hardware like the OpenPort?

Thank you very much for your help BTW
aren040

Postby cboles » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:31 pm

The cobb AP adapter should work if you can chain it with a USB<->Serial adapter that is based on the FTDI chipset. Other chipsets *may* work, but I wouldn't count on it. The reason you have to do this is that the UART for the built-in serial port on your computer typically doesn't support operating at unusual baud rates which are used in the reflashing or readout process. The USB chipset I mention does.

The alternative, of course, is to get an OpenPort, which is natively USB, has the right chipset, good flash voltage regulation, etc.

Colby
cboles
Site Admin

Postby aren040 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:22 pm

So from what I understand here is that in the easiest case I should get the OpenPort and copy the ECU and then I can feel free to flash with the Cobb AP? If anything happens I can use the OpenPort to flash the Origional ECU coding back onto the ECU?

Now am I right to believe that?

aren040
aren040

Postby cboles » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:26 pm

yep.
cboles
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion