Opensource ecu reflashes?

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Postby Spiider » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:22 pm

Well, the AP is a good control mechanism...you can protect your code somewhat when its in the microcontroller (or whatever is inside) .

Where did you get that reference from Trey? I would like to read it in full context. Do you have a thread link? Stuff on Nasioc falls down so fast its hard to find things like that once they are off the first page.
Spiider

Postby Kha0S » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:34 pm

Spiider wrote:Well, the AP is a good control mechanism...you can protect your code somewhat when its in the microcontroller (or whatever is inside) .

Where did you get that reference from Trey? I would like to read it in full context. Do you have a thread link? Stuff on Nasioc falls down so fast its hard to find things like that once they are off the first page.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpos ... stcount=76
Kha0S

Postby Spiider » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:15 am

What is he talking about? Colby released the source code to the entire project months ago, as well as the schematic for the cable back in the beginning.

I don't know where he got the source code to begin with, but I believe he wrote it himself.
Spiider

Postby Kha0S » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:11 am

Spiider wrote:What is he talking about? Colby released the source code to the entire project months ago, as well as the schematic for the cable back in the beginning.

I don't know where he got the source code to begin with, but I believe he wrote it himself.

I have no idea, but I'm certainly not informed enough to argue one way or the other on the work that Colby has done... I just hope it all gets resolved soon, that's all.
Kha0S

Postby cboles » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:44 am

Thanks for informing me about Trey's post - I have responded to it on NASIOC, but I'll restate some things here to be clear:

All of the code I post here is my own original work, written from scratch, unless I note otherwise (e.g. I use another open source component / library).

I spoke to some Cobb employees a couple of months back when they were in Seattle and was suprised to learn that Trey believed I had stolen their technology by conspiring with an ex-employee of his. This is simply not the case, and I explained this to them and told them to have Trey call me if he had any questions or concerns. I had already released my reflashing tools before I had even heard about the falling out between Trey and this key Cobb employee. According to his own employees, Trey somehow believes that this ex-employee is behind openecu.org and is using it to exact revenge on Cobb. Nothing could be further from the truth. I started this project working alone for many months, and now as part of a larger collaborative community. I have no relationship with any of Cobb's past or present employees, and no access to Cobb "trade secrets". I'm posting my kernel source code today to further quench Trey's apparent paranoia, and hopefully that will satisfy him.

Colby
cboles
Site Admin

Postby Kha0S » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:07 pm

cboles wrote:Thanks for informing me about Trey's post - I have responded to it on NASIOC, but I'll restate some things here to be clear:

All of the code I post here is my own original work, written from scratch, unless I note otherwise (e.g. I use another open source component / library).
I have no relationship with any of Cobb's past or present employees, and no access to Cobb "trade secrets". I'm posting my kernel source code today to further quench Trey's apparent paranoia, and hopefully that will satisfy him.

Colby --

I can't even say how happy I am to hear that these claims were baseless, and that you're taking an active role in dissuading the rumors. I had heard similar rumors from others not directly connected with Cobb (other than being friends with Cobb vendors) and was hoping sincerely that it was all false.

I'm also excited to see the source to the bootloader... while I have no intention of actually attempting to build it, I'm really interested in simply reading the source to see how the "black box" works. :D

/Andrew
Kha0S

Postby cboles » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:14 pm

I think you'll find the kernel to be fairly straightforward actually. It just parses the openecu command language and then does the reflashing per the specs of the 68HC16 datasheet. There is nothing really magic here. I've written reflashing bootloaders for other products in the past.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby Kha0S » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:41 pm

cboles wrote:I think you'll find the kernel to be fairly straightforward actually. It just parses the openecu command language and then does the reflashing per the specs of the 68HC16 datasheet. There is nothing really magic here. I've written reflashing bootloaders for other products in the past.

I've done my share of hacking around with HC11/HC12 MCUs, so hopefully the HC16 code won't be too much of a stretch for me. :D
Kha0S

Postby Spiider » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm

I have to admit I'm happy to hear this information publicly and directly from you Colby.

I had my reservations after Trey posted on Nasioc...
Spiider

Postby Freon » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:19 am

Looking back now, it looks like Trey was shooting off, hoping he'd get lucky, hit a nerve, maybe scare some people, make a lucky guess.

Unfortunately for him, it doesn't appear there was anything real behind it.

Anyway, game on...
Freon

Previous

Return to General Discussion