Problem Reading Certain ECU's? (WRX Only)

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Problem Reading Certain ECU's? (WRX Only)

Postby ev8siv3 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:29 am

I have run across a few cars that I have not been able to "read" at all.

1 was a 2003 WRX, it had the 2004 init connector on it (hadn't seen before). ECUFlash wouldn't read it with any of the methods available, 02/03 WRX , 04/05 WRX, etc.. In EcuExplorer it read as a AJ030.

The other was a 2006 WRX Wagon, I couldn't connect to it, but I walked over to another one and had no problem. Both showed up in EcuExplorer but just couldn't get a Read/Write from EcuFlash.

I'm using an OpenPort 1.2 cable. It happens very seldomly but sux when I run across it. Anyone else run into this? I'm using the latest install with the latest FTDI drivers installed with the 1.28 release.
ev8siv3

Postby Tea cups » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:43 am

I've heard that sometimes there is a connection on the passenger's side of the vehicle that is part of the same diagnostics wiring that is disconnected in some cars. Apparently, they come shipped like that from Japan and the dealer is supposed to connect them during the pre-delivery inspection but sometimes they forget. The way to know for sure is when you connect the driver's side green connectors and it still won't go into diagnostics mode (flashing CEL and radiator fans cycling).

Besides the Ecutek issue which I know you are aware of.
Tea cups

Postby ev8siv3 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:49 am

Tea cups wrote:I've heard that sometimes there is a connection on the passenger's side of the vehicle that is part of the same diagnostics wiring that is disconnected in some cars. Apparently, they come shipped like that from Japan and the dealer is supposed to connect them during the pre-delivery inspection but sometimes they forget. The way to know for sure is when you connect the driver's side green connectors and it still won't go into diagnostics mode (flashing CEL and radiator fans cycling).

Besides the Ecutek issue which I know you are aware of.

Well that does make some sense.. I could understand that. Neither of the cars were flashed prior, both were bone stock. When I turn the key on the Fan cycled and the CEL flashed, like normal operation.. it just wouldn't go any further.

ECUFlash said to check the "Error Log" but I can't seem to find it anywhere?
ev8siv3

Postby Tea cups » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:29 pm

If the cel was flashing and fans cycling then it probably isn't the issue I was talking about. Not sure about the error log. I've never seen a separate file. Usually the error message are in the right pane in the application.
Tea cups

Return to General Discussion